Huevos Rancheros (Mexican Eggs)
10 CommentsLeave CommentPrint Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Huevos Rancheros are Mexican eggs served on warm corn tortillas with tomato, onion, refried beans and ranchero sauce. Make this recipe for a Mexican breakfast that will kick start your day!
Huevo is the Mexican word for egg, and if I could have anything I want to eat in the morning, it would be a big plate of them! They’re full of protein to keep the body running strong in the morning, and there are SO many ways to serve them!
Barbacoa breakfast burritos are a favorite of everyone who tries them. They feature shredded barbacoa beef, soft scrambled eggs, and pico de gallo, all wrapped up in a tortilla with lots of cheese.
If you need a grab and go breakfast, make some chorizo deviled eggs.
Need to serve breakfast for a crowd? Sausage baked eggs casserole is loaded with spicy sausage, spinach, and Gouda cheese.
This recipe is very similar to authentic huevos rancheros. The only difference is that some huevo rancheros recipes call for seasoned tomato sauce instead of this ranchero sauce. Plus, it is super easy to make.
Unless you’re baking something like a polenta cakes or Mexican wedding cookies, where science is involved, don’t feel like you have to follow a recipe to the letter. Adapting a recipe a bit to suit your preferences is part of the fun of cooking!
- Corn Tortillas – Tortillas provide a base for the Mexican eggs, sauce and cheese.
- Eggs – Which do you prefer, sunny-side up or over-easy? You get to decide with Huevos Rancheros!
- Onions, Tomatoes and Peppers – Dice these to brighten your plate of Huevos Rancheros. Rancheros Sauce and/or Roasted Tomato Salsa add taste and variety to this dish.
- Oil for frying. Be sure to oil with a high smoke point, such as peanut, corn, grape seed, or refined avocado oil.
- Cilantro and Lime for extra flavor and to garnish when serving.
How To Make a Fantastic Mexican Breakfast
If you haven’t pre-made the sauce, start by preparing the fire roasted salsa or rancheros sauce. While the salsa or sauce is cooking, start prepping the rest of the recipe. Be sure to set a timer to check on the salsa and/or sauce.
- I like to make my own refried beans to smear on top of the tortillas, but feel free to use canned or none at all.
- Dice the onions, tomatoes and peppers. The red, green and white of the fresh diced vegetables adds visual appeal.
- Fry the tortillas. Put a little oil in your pan. Let it heat, then lightly fry both sides of the corn tortillas. Set aside and cover with a clean kitchen towel.
- Oil the pan and cook the eggs just how you like them.
- Assemble the Mexican egg breakfast! Place a warm tortilla onto a plate, smear it with some refried beans. Set the egg gently on top, with the rancheros sauce or roasted tomato salsa, then add the diced tomatoes, onions and peppers. Top it with a light sprinkling of cheese, chopped cilantro and a wedge of lime.
What to serve with Huevos Rancheros
There are so many options to add tastiness as well as authenticity to the top of these Mexican eggs dish! Let’s start with a few favorites.
- Queso Fresco – a crumbly, bright and fresh tasting cheese that goes well with most savory mexican dishes.
- Mexican crema – not to be confused with sour cream, crema is a little saltier and a bit more liquid. I particularly enjoy this dish topped with avocado crema!
- Black beans or charro beans
Tips and Tricks
- Perfect vegetable ratio. A good rule of thumb is to use a ratio of 1:2:4 for peppers, onions, and tomatoes. For example, this means using ¼ cup of diced peppers, ½ cup of diced onions, and 1 cup of diced tomatoes. Prepare these in different ratios or any other way you would like.
- Double or triple the recipe if you need to feed the Mexican eggs to a crowd!
- Add chopped serranos, jalapenos or hatch chiles for added flavor and heat! If you want the same flavor, but with less spicy heat, be sure to remove the inside ribs and seeds of the chiles.
Subscribe to my Newsletter, follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram and YouTube for all my latest recipes and videos.
Huevos Rancheros (Mexican Eggs)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 tbsp butter
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups Refried Beans
- 1 1/2 cups Ranchero Sauce
- 2 cups Pico de Gallo
- Have all of your garnishes ready (Refried Beans, Ranchero Sauce and Pico de Gallo).
- In a skillet over medium heat add the oil and fry each tortilla for 30 seconds a side. These are supposed to be soft, not crunchy, unless preferred. Set aside on paper towel line plate.
- In same frying pan wipe it clean and add the butter. When melted, fry the eggs until whites are set and yolk is cooked to desired doneness (preferably runny).
- For one serving: Spread refried beans on 2 fried tortillas, top with 2 fried eggs, ranchero sauce and fresh pico de gallo. Serve immediately.
- Crumble queso fresco or cotija cheese on top (optional)
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Wonderful one of my favorites for breakfast. So tasty and satisfying, thanks Kev!
Thanks for making these Dave. Appreciate the feedback. Cheers!
OK, you are my hero! Made these yesterday and WOW. You make a simple breakfast one amazing meal. Plus it really impressed my girlfriend – thanks!
High praise indeed, thanks Steven. Lots more on here for you to try… and your girlfriend! 🙂
Now if only my wife would make these every Sunday morning! Had to come here to let you know that these are by far THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks so much for taking the time to let me know Steve. Maybe you could surprise your wife and make these for HER on her birthday? Enjoy!
What makes this for me is the ranchero sauce. So flippin good!
I’d have to agree there Marty. Tasty indeed!
This has to be my all-time favorite huevos rancheros recipe and its really not that much work to put together and I always get raves! Keep these recipes coming Kevin!
Glad to be able to assist Pete. Thanks for letting me know.