These super moist Bran Muffins are a great way to start off the day. Hearty and filled with healthy things like bran, nuts and raisins. This Bran Muffins recipe is a copycat of the famous Mimi’s Cafe’s bran muffins, the popular US-based restaurant chain that serves French and American food with a cult following across the country!
Moist Bran Muffins
The secret to keeping this bran muffins recipe SUPER moist is in the use of buttermilk and apple butter.
These are great for breakfast with coffee and some fruit. Eat plain, with a dab of butter or drizzle some honey on top and you are set! If you’re thinking of going the honey route, drizzle it on after you pull them from the oven and let it melt in… so good!
What is Bran?
Bran is the hard outer layer of whole cereal grains such as oats, wheat, rice, and corn and contains protein, iron, fiber, carbohydrates, fatty acids, and other nutrients. Many people associate it with a “healthy” muffin or “good” choice of breakfast cereal with fiber.
I buy the packaged All-Bran cereal to use in this recipe. Super easy and it’s great just on it’s own with milk and maybe some fruit for a light, healthy breakfast.
Can I Make and Freeze these?
This batch should make a dozen large muffins. These can easily be frozen for another time. Just store in an airtight bag or container and freeze.
These Super Moist Bran Muffins are just what you need. Like my Pumpkin Butter All Bran Muffins, these are satisfying and fill you up. If you like bran, try my Date Honey Bran Waffles. Just top with fruit of choice and you are good to go.
I hope you like these as much as I do and bake up a batch today. Enjoy!
This recipe first appeared here on September 2013 and now has revised photos.
Super Moist Bran Muffins
- 1 1/2 cup all-bran cereal (separated)
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup apple butter (See Note 1)
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- 1/2 cup pecans chopped
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- In a large mixing bowl pour boiling water over 1/2 cup bran cereal, mix in oil and set aside. In another bowl mix egg, sugar and buttermilk.
- To the wet bran mixture add sifted flour, baking soda, salt and remaining dry cup of bran. Add the wet buttermilk mixture to bran mixture and stir.
- Stir in apple butter, nuts and raisins. Mix thoroughly to incorporate completely.
- Scoop into 12 muffin (paper lined), or greased muffin pan or baking stoneware and bake for 16-18 minutes.
- Remove from oven and drizzle with honey (optional) and let cool. Serve as is or with butter.
- I use 10 ounce jars of the apple butter found in the cooking and jam aisle at my local market and use 3/4 of a cup.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice.