Mexican Breakfast Burritos
6 CommentsLeave CommentPrint Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
These Mexican breakfast burritos feature barbacoa meat, fluffy eggs, pico and cheese. Make this quick breakfast recipe in just 10 minutes!
Who says breakfast burritos always have to have sausage or chorizo, I’m all about using up leftovers! After making Instant pot barbacoa, I had enough leftovers to make Mexican breakfast burritos.
One of the perks of making burritos for breakfast is that they’re portable. In a hurry? Not a problem; this is a grab ‘n go breakfast!
Mexican breakfast burritos
Feel free to pile the fillings inside of the tortillas, or go crazy with toppings for the breakfast burritos. It makes them a bit messier to eat, but it’s a nicer way to serve them for a holiday brunch.
When guests are over for brunch, I cook up a large batch of fluffy scrambled eggs and keep them warm in a slow cooker. Then I place the crockpot on the table with bowls of Mexican and Tex Mex toppings.
Breakfast burrito ideas – fillings and toppings
- Shredded barbacoa meat – For my barbacoa beef, I use beef chuck, and it’s made in the Instant Pot, so it’s completely tender and practically shreds itself. So glad I had some left over for the Mexican breakfast burritos!
- Scrambled eggs – Feel free to add a dash or two of hot sauce or cayenne powder for a spicy kick to the eggs.
- Shredded cheese – You can shredded some cheddar or Oaxaca, but I also like to serve Mexican breakfast burritos topped with cheese sauce! Make a batch of my better than Chipotle queso!
- Pico de gallo
- Sour cream or avocado crema
Other breakfast ideas
For other breakfast ideas, try my Homemade Breakfast Sausage, Breakfast Stuffed Peppers or this fantastic Italian Strata.
For other dishes using leftovers, check out my meatloaf egg scramble or this BBQ pork with cheesy grits. Enjoy!
Subscribe to my Newsletter, follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram and YouTube for all my latest recipes and videos.
This post, originally published on Kevin is Cooking Sept. 15, 2018, was last updated with new content on Dec. 9, 2020.
Mexican Breakfast Burritos
- 2 cups shredded barbacoa meat
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup pico de gallo
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese or Oaxaca cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 4 tortillas corn or flour
- Heat barbacoa meat by covering bowl with paper towel and microwaving for 1-2 minutes on High. Set aside.
- While meat is heating up, whisk eggs, salt and pepper in bowl. Place a skillet over medium heat; add eggs, scrambling until soft and slightly firm. Remove pan of eggs from heat and set aside.
- Place 1/4 cup shredded cheese on top of each tortilla. One at a time, place tortilla with cheese on microwave-safe plate, then cook on high power for 1 minute. Remove from microwave and top each tortilla with scrambled eggs, barbacoa meat, and pico de gallo, then wrap immediately. Serve warm.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This looks so delicious! I love a savory breakfast! Perfect!
Appreciate the kind words Kelly, thanks for taking the time to stop by and let me know! 🙂
I love this idea of shredded Barbacoa beef in a breakfast burrito! This looks fabulous, Kevin. You have me craving the burrito with some hot coffee, just like you’re serving it. xo
See, if we were only neighbors! 🙂
Your timing is perfect, Kevin! We have company coming for the weekend and your barbacoa for dinner with a bonus of breakfast burritos from the leftovers sounds amazing! Delicious for all of us and easy for me!
Excellent! Glad I could help. Have fun! I made a big old double batch and froze half. I needed back up dinner ideas since I have no kitchen during the remodel!