My Roasted Tomato Salsa starts with roasted, charred tomatoes, onions and jalapeños and that’s what adds that extra depth of flavor. Easy to make and so much better then store bought.
Healthy, easy to make and a sure hit at every party, my Roasted Tomato Salsa is perfect for dipping tortilla chips one after another. This is addicting stuff, but in a good way!
The ingredients couldn’t be easier, too. Fresh tomatoes of choice, I prefer the meatier Roma, onion, jalapeños and for a slight kick, a smokey chipotle pepper in adobo sauce.
Roma tomatoes, onion and jalapeños are sliced and laid out skin side up on a baking tray. Sprinkle on the garlic cloves and then roast in the oven, or for a smokier flavor, on the grill.
Make sure they get that nice, black char on them. That’s the secret flavor weapon.
Allow them to cool slightly and carefully process until smooth in a blender or food processor with chipotle pepper.
Season with salt and lime juice and you are good to go.
This is so much better than store bought salsa. You know exactly what went into it and fresh is always so much better.
The roasted, charred vegetables add so much flavor and the balanced flavors are perfect. Dip away! For another roasted salsa, check out my Tomatillo Salsa Verde!
For other Mexican and Tex Mex ideas, check out my Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas, Grilled Steak Fajitas, Frito Pie Casserole, Tex Mex Hot Corn Dip, Tex Mex Stuffed Peppers, Tex Mex Chicken Corn Soup, or this Authentic Mexican Rice or Mexican Black Beans and Corn. Enjoy!
- 2 lbs Roma tomatoes (about 8 large)
- 2 jalapeño peppers (stemmed)
- 1 large white onion
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 lime
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Slice tomatoes and jalapeños lengthwise. Remove skin from onion, halve and slice into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Place tomatoes, jalapeños skin side up on a baking sheet with onion pieces and garlic. Place baking tray under broiler and cook for 6-8 minutes until charred. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
In a blender or food processor, blend with chipotle pepper until smooth. Season with juice from one lime and salt to taste.
- Chill covered until ready to serve with tortilla chips.