I love summer for the bounty of fresh vegetables and namely corn. We have been on a corn binge as of late and if you want something different than just nibbling it off the cob try this Grilled Corn Salad with Hazelnuts.
Lots of fresh, charred on the grill corn tossed with an orange vinaigrette with fresh herbs like tarragon and mint. I quickly pan toast the hazelnuts to bring out their rich flavor. This one has been in salad rotation 3 times now in the last month. Amazing pop of freshness.
We recently tore up the front of the house and planted gardenias and a new citrus tree. A tangelo to be exact. The back yard has plenty of figs ready to be plucked from the tree ready for a galette or jam and the lemons are almost all gone because I use them in about everything.
What I’m getting at basically is it’s summer. While I don’t have a corn field, I do buy it up like mad when it’s here and love every minute of it. It gets used in my Shrimp Corn and Barley Salad, Corn and Fregola with Grilled Halloumi and Southwest BBQ Chicken Salad with Apricots, Avocado and Grilled Corn to name a few. Search corn here on the site and you’ll see what I’m talking about.
This Grilled Corn Salad with Hazelnuts packs in the flavor, is super healthy with fresh fruit, corn and herbs. What’s even better is it’s quick to make, too. 12 minutes to cook on the grill and BAM, done.
All you do is char the corn on all sides, cut off the cob and toss in this heavenly orange vinaigrette.
I toast the hazelnuts in a sauté pan and rub the skins off best I can and toss in a bowl.
The fresh pops of tarragon and mint play well with the citrus. I didn’t have orange juice one evening I made this and substituted it with straight up frozen orange concentrate. May I just say it’s superb. Intense and suggest you give it a try.
While the recipe calls for regular orange juice, the concentrate will make you sing!
Top this all off with grated Pecorino, or cheese of choice, and dig in. A perfect side or as a main course. Enjoy!
- 1 cup toasted hazelnuts
- 4 ears of corn husked
- 1 clove garlic smashed and chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice (See Note 1)
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- Pinch kosher salt
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil separated
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (See Note 2)
- 2 oz Pecorino Romano grated
- Toast hazelnuts in a small saute pan over medium heat. Shaking pan occasionally so they don’t burn, 8 minutes. Let cool. Roll in a paper towel to remove any skins.
- Brush corn with 1 tablespoon of oil and grill, turning to char on all sides, about 12 minutes total time. Allow to cool. (see Note 3)
- In a small bowl whisk together the garlic, orange juice, vinegar, one tablespoon oil and lemon zest to combine. Season with salt and set aside.
- Cut the kernels from each cob and add to vinaigrette. Add hazelnuts, mint, tarragon, and pepper and toss to combine. Grate fresh Pecorino Romano cheese on top, serve.
1. I have even used 1/4 cup orange concentrate for an even more intense orange flavor. Love it.
2. Aleppo pepper can be substituted here. I ground them into a powder in my spice grinder (or coffee grinder, but be sure to clean out properly!) and sprinkle on after. This is optional.
3. Alternatively, you could cut kernels from cobs and cook in a dry, large skillet over medium heat. Shake pan occasionally, until charred in spots, about 4 minutes.