Sweet Potato and Corn Salad
16 CommentsLeave CommentPrint Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Sweet Potato and Corn Salad is not only easy to put together but super healthy, with roasted sweet potatoes and corn, bell peppers and pumpkins seeds tossed in a Mexican crema sauce with fresh lime juice.
Sweet Potato and Corn Salad
With the bounty of fresh vegetables everywhere this summer we’ve been eating a wonderful variety and this salad uses quite a lot of them.
Tender cumin roasted sweet potatoes and fresh grilled corn are the main ingredients here with chopped bell peppers, red onion and pumpkins seeds.
How to make this sweet potato salad?
Roasting the vegetables help bring out their sweetness and the slight char on the corn is a welcome flavor boost.
Instead of vinegar in the salad dressing, I opted to use lime juice and instead of mayonnaise, Mexican crema is used. If you can’t find the Mexican crema, typically in the dairy section on the market near cottage cheese and sour cream, you can substitute sour cream whisked together with lime juice.
What to have with this?
This is a filling salad on it’s own, but we usually eat this with ribs or BBQ chicken.
Other sweet potato recipes?
- Sweet Potato, Ham and White Bean Soup Sweet Potato, Ham and White Bean Soup has caramelized ham cubes, white beans, onions, garlic, celery, bay leaves, a fresh thyme and some red pepper flakes.
- Honey Mustard Sweet Potato Salad This Honey Mustard Sweet Potato Salad is made with with spiralized sweet potatoes, zucchini and shaved brussels sprouts in a bacon honey mustard dressing.
- Southwest Sweet Potato Chicken Hash For a Southwest flavor I incorporated some sweet red onion, garlic, spices and maple syrup to spice up and coat the cubed sweet potato and corn.The smokey chilies worked well with the sweet red onion, potato and corn medley. The hint of cumin, notes of garlic, cilantro and the lime juice all come together nicely.
- Loaded Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes These Loaded Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes have it all from savory bacon to mini marshmallows and sweet brown sugar streusel all mixed together with buttery, mashed sweet potato. An easy make ahead dish when time is short!
Sweet Potato and Corn Salad
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes (See Note 1)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 4 ears of fresh corn outer leaves removed
- 2 bell peppers green and red colored, chopped
- 1 cup red onion diced (about 1/2 large onion)
- 1/2 cup roasted pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves chopped
- 8 oz Mexican crema (See Note 2)
- 2 limes juiced
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a bowl toss the cubed sweet potatoes with the oil, cumin, salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes or until slightly caramelized on edges. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Using a grill pan or BBQ, grill the corn until slightly blistered all over (about 12 minutes total). When cool enough to handle, use a sharp knife and cut kernels off cob. Set aside.
- Dice red onion and cover with cold water, set aside for 10 minutes. This will help take the bite out of them.
- Chop bell peppers into small dice, set aide. Juice limes.
- In a small bowl whisk together the lime juice and Mexican crema.
- In a large salad bowl toss together the sweet potatoes, corn, peppers, onion, pumpkin seeds, cilantro and the Mexican crema and lime dressing. Season to taste. Refrigerate for an hour covered. Serve with more crema and pumpkin seeds sprinkled on top with lime zest (optional).
- About 2 large, peeled and cut into 1/2" cubes
- If you can't find the Mexican crema, typically in the dairy section on the market near cottage cheese and sour cream, you can substitute 8 oz sour cream whisked together with 2-3 tablespoons of lime juice to thin it.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This salad is super tasty and filling! I added cayenne and would cut back the black pepper a bit next time. Will definitely make again.
Love the cayenne kick add Jenn. Thanks for taking the time to come back and let me know!
Looks yumm!!! I love sweet potato and corn! This is the perfect salad for me 😀
This is just so good, enjoy!
Made this salad today, it was so wonderful!!! Went perfectly with bbq’d chicken, wings and turkey thighs!! Only thing I did differently was I had to use sunflower seeds since I had forgotten to pick up the pumpkin seeds. Roasted them on the stove and added some Tejin seasoning and tossed them in. Will definitely get the pepitas next time though to keep to the recipe :).
So glad you enjoyed this one Randi. Thanks so much for taking the time to come back and let me know. 🙂
So excited to see your big remodel, Kevin! Absolutely swooning over this salad – so many incredible flavors and textures in one gorgeous bowl. Perfect for the long weekend!!
Thanks Marissa! Trying to keep the recipes coming and ones I can make and share with minimal effort or kitchen. It’s amazing when one thinks of the grill as n oven, too!
Awesome salad! Looks amazing!
Thanks so much Karly. I love squeezing extra lime juice on top, too. So good! 🙂
What a flavorful sweet potato salad Kevin! Such a great list of ingredients you’ve combined! I love the pumpkin seeds for crunch too. Perfect for the holiday weekend ahead!
Thank you Mary Ann! It was one of those recipes I wanted to share with my niece who was visiting who does not eat meat. It’s a favorite of ours and the grilled corn and roasted sweet potatoes add so much.
That’s one flavour packed salad, Kevin! Since we’ll be grilling this weekend, this would be a perfect addition to the meal! YUM!
Lots of healthy, crunchy and savory textures and goodies in this one. Since my niece was down and doesn’t eat meat I made this one for her. Thanks Dawn! 🙂
This looks fabulous, Kevin! I love the mixture of Crema and lime juice! And I love fresh corn and peppers, this time of year. Good luck with the reno and I hope you share Before and After pictures! New kitchen, yay and super cool!
Thanks Sally! Taking pics all along the way… demo is done and cabinets delivered. The rebuild starts today!