This Sweet Potato and Corn Salad is not only easy to put together but super healthy, with roasted sweet potatoes and corn, bell peppers and pumpkins seeds tossed in a Mexican crema sauce with fresh lime juice.
Sweet Potato and Corn Salad
With the bounty of fresh vegetables everywhere this summer we’ve been eating a wonderful variety and this salad uses quite a lot of them.
Tender cumin roasted sweet potatoes and fresh grilled corn are the main ingredients here with chopped bell peppers, red onion and pumpkins seeds.
How to make this sweet potato salad?
Roasting the vegetables help bring out their sweetness and the slight char on the corn is a welcome flavor boost.
Instead of vinegar in the salad dressing, I opted to use lime juice and instead of mayonnaise, Mexican crema is used. If you can’t find the Mexican crema, typically in the dairy section on the market near cottage cheese and sour cream, you can substitute sour cream whisked together with lime juice.
What to have with this?
Other sweet potato recipes?
- Sweet Potato, Ham and White Bean SoupSweet Potato, Ham and White Bean Soup has caramelized ham cubes, white beans, onions, garlic, celery, bay leaves, a fresh thyme and some red pepper flakes.
- Honey Mustard Sweet Potato SaladThis Honey Mustard Sweet Potato Salad is made with with spiralized sweet potatoes, zucchini and shaved brussels sprouts in a bacon honey mustard dressing.
- Southwest Sweet Potato Chicken HashFor a Southwest flavor I incorporated some sweet red onion, garlic, spices and maple syrup to spice up and coat the cubed sweet potato and corn.The smokey chilies worked well with the sweet red onion, potato and corn medley. The hint of cumin, notes of garlic, cilantro and the lime juice all come together nicely.
- Loaded Twice Baked Sweet PotatoesThese Loaded Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes have it all from savory bacon to mini marshmallows and sweet brown sugar streusel all mixed together with buttery, mashed sweet potato. An easy make ahead dish when time is short!
Sweet Potato and Corn Salad
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes (See Note 1)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 4 ears of fresh corn outer leaves removed
- 2 bell peppers green and red colored, chopped
- 1 cup red onion diced (about 1/2 large onion)
- 1/2 cup roasted pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves chopped
- 8 oz Mexican Crema (See Note 2)
- 2 limes juiced
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a bowl toss the cubed sweet potatoes with the oil, cumin, salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes or until slightly caramelized on edges. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Using a grill pan or BBQ, grill the corn until slightly blistered all over (about 12 minutes total). When cool enough to handle, use a sharp knife and cut kernels off cob. Set aside.
- Dice red onion and cover with cold water, set aside for 10 minutes. This will help take the bite out of them.
- Chop bell peppers into small dice, set aide. Juice limes.
- In a small bowl whisk together the lime juice and Mexican crema.
- In a large salad bowl toss together the sweet potatoes, corn, peppers, onion, pumpkin seeds, cilantro and the Mexican crema and lime dressing. Season to taste. Refrigerate for an hour covered. Serve with more crema and pumpkin seeds sprinkled on top with lime zest (optional).
- About 2 large, peeled and cut into 1/2" cubes
- If you can't find the Mexican crema, typically in the dairy section on the market near cottage cheese and sour cream, you can substitute 8 oz sour cream whisked together with 2-3 tablespoons of lime juice to thin it.