This Sweet Potato and Corn Salad is not only easy to put together but super healthy, with roasted sweet potatoes and corn, bell peppers and pumpkins seeds tossed in a Mexican crema sauce with fresh lime juice.
With the house under construction with a kitchen remodel that turned into a “let’s do the entire house” while we’re at it, I have been working out of a little kitchen set up in my living room. Needless to say the grill has been in over drive use and I keep trying new ideas out and this is a great one!
With the bounty of fresh vegetables everywhere this summer we’ve been eating a wonderful variety and this salad uses quite a lot of them.
Tender cumin roasted sweet potatoes and fresh grilled corn are the main ingredients here with chopped bell peppers, red onion and pumpkins seeds.
Roasting the vegetables help bring out their sweetness and the slight char on the corn is a welcome flavor boost.
Instead of vinegar in the salad dressing, I opted to use lime juice and instead of mayonnaise, Mexican crema is used. If you can’t find the Mexican crema, typically in the dairy section on the market near cottage cheese and sour cream, you can substitute sour cream whisked together with lime juice.
Sweet Potato and Corn Salad
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes (See Note 1)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 4 ears of fresh corn outer leaves removed
- 2 bell peppers green and red colored, chopped
- 1 cup red onion diced (about 1/2 large onion)
- 1/2 cup roasted pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves chopped
- 8 oz Mexican Crema (See Note 2)
- 2 limes juiced
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a bowl toss the cubed sweet potatoes with the oil, cumin, salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes or until slightly caramelized on edges. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Using a grill pan or BBQ, grill the corn until slightly blistered all over (about 12 minutes total). When cool enough to handle, use a sharp knife and cut kernels off cob. Set aside.
- Dice red onion and cover with cold water, set aside for 10 minutes. This will help take the bite out of them.
- Chop bell peppers into small dice, set aide. Juice limes.
- In a small bowl whisk together the lime juice and Mexican crema.
- In a large salad bowl toss together the sweet potatoes, corn, peppers, onion, pumpkin seeds, cilantro and the Mexican crema and lime dressing. Season to taste. Refrigerate for an hour covered. Serve with more crema and pumpkin seeds sprinkled on top with lime zest (optional).
- About 2 large, peeled and cut into 1/2" cubes
- If you can't find the Mexican crema, typically in the dairy section on the market near cottage cheese and sour cream, you can substitute 8 oz sour cream whisked together with 2-3 tablespoons of lime juice to thin it.