This Citrus Honey Grilled Chicken is packed with flavor and is a super easy dinner that’s on the table in no time. Orange juice, honey and rosemary marinate the chicken that’s grilled to tender perfection, then dressed with a pistachio, cilantro and citrus salad.
Super easy and perfect for a mid-week dinner that’s on the table quick and it’s light enough for lunch, or dinner with a side. Just look at all the beautiful colors in this dish!
A quick 30 minute marinade is all it takes while you get the grill or cast-iron grill pan going. It all starts with orange juice, honey, chopped rosemary and some salt and pepper. I like to add a pinch of red pepper flakes too for a little kick. It’s not too much and I highly recommend it.
This Citrus Honey Grilled Chicken really has a well balanced flavored marinade and is perfect for the grill.
With all the different varieties of fresh citrus coming out the colors and flavors add such a fresh touch. Feel free to mix and match to suit your needs if some I have used here are unavailable.
I used grapefruit, orange, blood orange, tangelo and lime. Peel and slice!
The citrus salad is a cinch too. Just peel and slice the citrus 1/4” thick crosswise, then dice into two to three segment pieces. Toss with a tablespoon of honey, the cilantro and chopped dates and pistachios.
While grilling I baste with the marinade, but due to the fact the chicken was in it do not use marinade to put on top after it’s cooked. Just discard it, don’t want to get anyone sick.
I just sprinkle with some finely diced rosemary (optional) and plate with the salad.
Citrus Honey Grilled Chicken
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup honey + 1 tbsp for salad
- 3 tbsp rosemary , minced
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- pinch salt
- Freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- 2 lb chicken thighs bone in, skin on
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup pistachios , roughly chopped
- 15 pitted dates , halved lengthwise
- 1 blood orange , peeled and sliced 1/4” thick crosswise (See Note 1)
- 1 navel orange , peeled and sliced 1/4” thick crosswise (See Note 1)
- 1 Cara Cara , peeled and sliced 1/4” thick crosswise (See Note 1)
- 1 red grapefruit , peeled and sliced 1/4” thick crosswise (See Note 1)
- 1 lime , peeled and sliced 1/4” thick crosswise (See Note 1)
- Mix orange juice, honey, rosemary, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes in a bowl; add chicken and toss to combine. Marinate 30 minutes, or until ready to use.
- Heat a gas grill to medium heat. Alternatively, heat a cast-iron grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Remove chicken from marinade, shake off excess and transfer to grill. Cook skin-side down, flipping once, and basting occasionally with remaining sauce until charred and cooked through, about 12–15 minutes. Internal temperature should be 165°F.
- Transfer chicken to a cutting board, and let rest for 15 minutes before serving. Remove skin if desired and plate.
- In a bowl toss cilantro, pistachios, dates, and citrus pieces together and drizzle with remaining tablespoon of honey. Serve with chicken.
- Feel free to use any variety of citrus fruit you might have on hand or that's available.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice.