A quick and simple dinner that’s healthy, easy and on the table in minutes? Another one Kevin? Yes, and this Honey Mustard Grilled Salmon is your ticket. A perfect mid-week dinner meal that doesn’t heat up the kitchen, too.
While that coveted Copper River Salmon is no where to be found, I was able to pick up some fresh salmon for a quick dinner. A little olive oil, salt and pepper, a quick grilled on each side and then a basting of the honey, mustard sauce with dried mint and horseradish to pep it up a bit. It’s the combination of flavors here that make it and this is ready to eat.
This Honey Mustard Grilled Salmon is so simple and really the time it takes to get the grill hot is more than it takes to have this grilled and on the table. Done.
The tender, moist and juicy salmon gets a nice crispy grill on both sides and then gets basted with the honey, mustard, mint sauce. It melts and glazes perfectly, adhering to the salmon for a bite after bite of sweet and tangy with a bit of kick from the horseradish.
After many attempts at finding the best way to grill salmon it’s this easy: keep the grill clean, hot and the fish oiled. Once it’s placed on the grill LEAVE IT ALONE. If you flip it before it has a crust the skin will tear and a mess will be had on the grill. It’s that easy.
Now if you have never had the opportunity to try Wild Copper River Sockeye Salmon you must whenever it comes back to Costco (or wherever you can find it!). It is amazing in texture and flavor and when grilled is perfection. It appears to be a seasonal entry in their salmon offerings and well worth the extra cost.
Just look at this Honey Mustard Grilled Salmon!
Like I said, after it’s grilled you can just brush on this wonderfully simple yet flavorful sauce of honey, mustard, mint and a little horseradish for a little kick at the end. It’s that simple. It reminds me of one of my most popular posts, Honey Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts. Roasted with olive oil and salt and pepper and then tossed in the honey balsamic. Keeps the crunch appeal while coating and glazing after. Win, win.
I usually pair it with some glazed mint carrots, but opted for some steamed barley as a side. Enjoy!
This recipe first appeared on Kevin Is Cooking back in Jul 12, 2013 and has been updated with new photos and nutritional information.
Honey Mustard Grilled Salmon
- 2 lb fresh salmon filet skin on 1" thick (See Note 1)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp crushed horseradish
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp dried mint
- Turn the grill to Medium-High and get to 450°F.
- In a small bowl whisk together the glaze ingredients and set aside.
- Rinse the salmon fillet and pat dry. Brush the olive oil over the salmon on both sides - keeping skin on. Season with salt and pepper.
- When grill is hot, place fillet skin side down, and grill for 3 to 4 minutes on high so skin becomes golden brown and crispy. Carefully flip salmon over, keeping skin intact, and cook another 3 minutes (See Note 1). IF grill is unavailable, bake at 400°F for 12 minutes and check to see if cooked through depending on thickness.
- Remove from the grill, brush with glaze and let rest for 2 minutes. Serve immediately.