Using grated parmesan cheese in lieu of breadcrumbs for my Parmesan Crusted Chicken, these chicken cutlets are quickly breaded and sautéed to a golden, crunchy brown. A quick mustard cream pan sauce is made to pour on top. Literally on the table in less than 30 minutes.
After hitting up my favorite Italian deli in Little Italy over the weekend I came home with some freshly grated Parmesan. About a pound of it actually. 🙂
A jar of capers, here, some balsamic syrup there, the aisles are just loaded with some of my favorite condiments.
Needless to say I wanted to do something different with the parmesan cheese and decided on breading my chicken cutlets. I say chicken cutlets because I sliced my chicken breasts horizontally due to the fact they were a pound each!
A quick dip in beaten egg and dredged in the grated parmesan did the trick nicely.
A hot skillet with some olive oil and man did these turn out great. Golden brown and crispy on the outside, tender and juicy chicken on the inside. Just look at that Parmesan Crusted Chicken!
I opted for a cream sauce and Dijon mustard was my first choice to punch up the flavor and it works wonderfully with the parmesan chicken.
I served the parmesan chicken alongside my Honey Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts. They were a perfect side dish, but I also enjoy steamed broccoli or asparagus tossed in the cream sauce and poured over the chicken, too.
For extra taste testing purposes of course. 🙂
My Parmesan Crusted Chicken with Mustard Cream Sauce use chicken cutlets that are breaded with Parmesan cheese then sautéed to a golden, crunchy brown. A quick mustard cream pan sauce is made to pour on top. Literally on the table in less than 30 minutes. Recipe video included.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast (See Note 1)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 1/2 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tbsp olive oil separated
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp parsley chopped
- Season both sides of chicken with salt and 1 tsp of the pepper.
- Place grated parmesan in a shallow bowl and dredge chicken in egg. Gently shake off excess egg and then place in parmesan bowl, pressing to adhere cheese on both sides. Gently shake off excess and repeat with remaining chicken breasts. Set aside.
In a large skillet over medium high heat sauté the onion in one tablespoon of the oil for 2 minutes and add the garlic. Stir and continue to cook on low until onion is soft, 3-5 minutes.
Add the mustard and stir to cook for 1 minute. Add the cream, remaining pepper cheese (from dredging) and parsley and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, lower heat and reduce by half. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat. Place chicken in skillet and allow to sauté and get golden, crunchy brown for 3 minutes each side. Carefully turn and cook the other side for 3 minutes or until also golden, crunchy brown.
- Serve immediately with mustard cream sauce poured over each piece of chicken.
- If large 1 pound breasts, butterfly by slicing horizontally to make 4 pieces total.