I’ve got a super easy mid-week dinner for you with this Spanish Roasted Chicken and Potatoes. Tender chicken thighs are simply seasoned with smoked paprika and lemon juice, then slow roasted with red onions, garlic and Yukon Gold potatoes for a simple and rustic dish that delivers big on flavor with minimal effort.
OK, this Spanish Roasted Chicken is so easy and I got rave reviews for this one pan, all-in-one dinner. Dave had a gang of buddies over the other evening when I was out meeting a friend for dinner and I figured they’d enjoy this one. Nothing like coming home and being told there are no leftovers and so and so wants the recipe!
Yukon Gold potatoes are quickly microwaved to speed up the cooking process with olive oil and garlic. While that’s going you slice up red onion.
Tender boneless, skinless chicken thighs get rubbed with smoked paprika, a little olive oil, lemon juice and parsley.
A baking dish that you put in the oven to get smoking hot gets filled with those pre-cooked potatoes with the oil and garlic. This will sputter a bit as it all hits the pan, so be careful. The aroma is wonderful!
Quickly sprinkle the sliced red onion and a cut up lemon over the potatoes and back in the oven they go.
I love the taste of roasting citrus and it’s perfect in this dish.
After 12 minutes roasting you top the vegetables with the marinated chicken and roast for another 12 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the potatoes are a golden brown.
A sprinkling of sherry on top after it’s done is completely optional, but the flavor is so good.
Serve this Spanish Roasted Chicken up with more cut lemon to squeeze on top and dig in.
This recipe first appeared on Kevin Is Cooking November 2017 and has been updated with new video.
Spanish Roasted Chicken and Potatoes
- 4 slices of bacon
- 2 lbs Yukon gold potatoes large cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 cloves garlic smashed and coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 lbs skinless boneless chicken thighs (8 thighs)
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 tbsp fresh parsley roughly chopped
- 2 lemons 1 juiced, 1 cut into wedges
- 3 large red onions halved and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp sherry (optional)
- Preheat oven to 500°F. Position a rack in the upper third of the oven.
- Render bacon in a sauté pan until brown and crisp. Remove from pan, drain on paper towel and when cool, crumble. Set aside.
- Place a large cast-iron baking dish or a rimmed baking sheet on the rack and allow to heat up.
- Put the cut potatoes, garlic, olive oil, 1 tablespoon water and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large microwave-safe baking dish and toss to coat. Cover with plastic wrap, pierce the plastic in a few places and microwave 8 minutes to cook partially.
- Sprinkle the chicken thighs with the smoked paprika, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Add 2 tablespoons parsley and the lemon juice. Toss to coat and set aside.
- Carefully remove the hot baking dish from the oven. Carefully add the potatoes and spread in an even layer as this will sputter as it all hits the pan. Scatter the onions and 1 lemon cut into 8 pieces on top. Roast until the potatoes start to brown, about 12 minutes.
- Turn the potatoes and lay the chicken pieces on top, adding any accumulated juices from the bowl. Return to oven and roast until the potatoes are tender and the chicken is cooked through, about 12 more minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle sherry (optional) on top with the remaining 2 tablespoons parsley and crumbled bacon. Serve with the remaining lemon cut into wedges.