Frito pie is a Southwest American casserole that’s crunchy, spicy, beefy and cheesy. Here’s my Frito Pie recipe using Fritos corn chips, chili con carne and cheese!
Easy Frito Pie
Frito pie is an American dish popular in the Southwest for being crunchy, spicy, and cheesy. Here’s my take using Fritos corn chips, my Chili con Carne and lots of cheese for an easy dinner twist on this crunchy, classic casserole.
This Frito Pie Casserole could not be any easier. One of those grab some of this and layer it with that type of meals.
Why it’s called a pie is beyond me, but this Frito pie casserole easily feeds a crowd and if using my chili con carne it’s true Tex Mex dining.
If you don’t have any chili con carne on hand you can always use your favorite or canned.
After layering the Frito corn chips, chili con carne, onions and cheese, this goes straight into the oven to bake.
That’s all there is to my Frito Pie recipe!
All melted and gooey, this Frito Pie recipe is sure to please.
I love the salty crunch of the chips, the corn flavor goes so well with the Tex Mex chili con carne and the cheese! Lots of cheddar cheese melted and covering the diced onions and chili.
For other Tex Mex ideas, try my Tex Mex Chicken Corn Soup, Tex Mex Hot Corn Dip, Tex Mex Stuffed Peppers or these desserts to finish the meal like my Old Fashioned Cherry Crisp, Gramma’s Easy Berry Cobbler, Baked Hasselback Apples or Mini Peanut Butter Apple Pies. Enjoy!
Frito Pie Casserole
- 9.25 oz Fritos corn chips (or 4 cups)
- 3 cups chili con carne
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese (shredded)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a 13x9" casserole baking dish evenly distribute the corn chips.
- Pour the chili con carne on top and evenly distribute.
- Sprinkle the diced onion and cheese over and bake for 10-12 minutes until heated through and cheese has melted.
- Serve with optional toppings like chopped cilantro, sour cream and pickled jalapeños.