This Easy Tamale Bake is definitely one of those quick, throw it together meals and can be made all in one pan, the type of dinner, or lunch for that matter, that satisfies.
Easy Tamale Bake
What I love about this is that it’s very flavorful, very filling and the contrast in textures are quite appealing. The baked, cornbread topping adds that “tamale” feel to it and the ground beef, corn and other seasonings, vegetables and beans make this so hearty.
How to make my Easy Tamale Bake
So let’s start off by preheating that oven to 375° F. Cook the ground beef, onion, garlic and bell pepper in a large skillet until meat is lightly browned. Drain excess oil if needed.
Stir in tomato sauce, beans, corn, salt, chili powder, cumin, chipotle powder and black pepper. Simmer 10 minutes or until thick.
Pour all of this into a greased 9×9” baking dish and then top with cheddar cheese.
I use Jiffy cornbread mix here, but feel free to use your favorite or give it a try. Mix the cornbread mix, egg and milk in a small bowl. Pour this over meat mixture and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly, serve warm and top with cilantro (optional). Enjoy!
This recipe first appeared on Kevin Is Cooking on August 2015 and has been updated with a new video.
Watch how to make this below!
Easy Tamale Bake
- 1 lb ground beef (80/20)
- 1 onion , chopped
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 1 bell pepper , chopped small
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 1 cup corn (fresh or frozen)
- 8 oz kidney beans or black beans (drained)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 Jiffy Cornbread mix (8.5 oz.)
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Brown the ground beef, onion, garlic and bell pepper in a large skillet until meat is lightly browned. Drain excess oil if needed. Stir in tomato sauce, corn, beans, salt, chili powder, cumin, chipotle powder and black pepper.
- Simmer 10 minutes or until thick. Pour into a greased 9x9” baking dish, top with cheese.
- Mix the cornbread mix, egg an milk in a small bowl. Pour over meat mixture and bake for 20 minutes.