For my Homemade Cornbread I add corn kernels and diced pickled jalapeños to the batter then drizzle honey on top right out of the oven to soak in and give it a glaze.
Homemade Cornbread is the perfect side dish for a soup, stew, or beans. One of my favorite brands to pick up and use is Jiffy Cornbread, but homemade is just as easy to make and this is my go to recipe if I don’t have any store bought on hand.
Which translates to I’m too lazy to go to the store! Although everyone should know how to make cornbread.
So how do you make cornbread from scratch?
Let me show you!
Cornbread is a quick bread leavened with baking powder, not yeast. So with milk and eggs, other pantry items like flour and cornmeal, you have homemade cornbread in less than 30 minutes!
Golden, sweet and tender to the bite, there’s nothing better than Homemade Cornbread especially when it’s loaded with corn and diced jalapeños served warm with honey drizzled on top.
Homemade cornbread is the best!
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapeños diced (optional)
- 8.5 oz can of corn drained
- 3 tbsp honey
- Heat the oven to 400°F. Spray the bottom and sides of an 8” square pan, 9” round cake pan with the cooking spray. OR use a cast iron skillet.
- In a large bowl, whisk together melted butter, milk and egg until well mixed.
- Add the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt , stirring until the flour is moistened.
- Stir in the corn and chopped jalapeños (batter will be lumpy).
- Pour batter into the pan spreading evenly and smooth top of batter.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and brush honey on top, allow to soak in.
- Serve warm.