Chicken and cabbage with crispy pancetta is a flavorful dinner with braised vegetables. Make this recipe for a quick and easy weeknight meal!
Combining meat with braised vegetables is an easy way to create a balanced meal in a short amount of time.
WHAT IS BRAISING?
Braising is a cooking process, similar steaming, except that a flavorful liquid is used instead of plain water. However, when you braise, the food sits in the liquid rather than in a steamer basket above it.
As a result, it is a great way to infuse a lot of flavor into milder vegetables such as cabbage.
For a plant-based alternative to this recipe, try my Braised Cabbage and Apples recipe instead.
INGREDIENT NOTES AND SUBSTITUTIONS
Note: This is just a partial list of ingredients. For the full ingredient list, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Chicken – Using a rotisserie chicken saves time and gives you extra meat to use for other recipes. If you prefer, you can also shred chicken by poaching or steaming boneless, skinless breasts or thighs.
- Pancetta – While this comes from the same cut of pork as bacon, it doesn’t have the same smoky flavor. I prefer the bolder pork flavor from the pancetta with the milder flavors of the cabbage and chicken, but you can use bacon if you want to.
- Cabbage – Save time by using pre-shredded cabbage, or there are instructions on how to shred it by hand in the recipe notes section below.
- Red wine vinegar – This adds tang and acidity to the overall dish, but there are a few substitutes that will also work. The easiest is to mix equal parts red wine with white vinegar, or replace the red wine with grape juice for an alcohol-free version. Apple cider vinegar can also be used, since apple pairs well with the other ingredients in this recipe.
How to make chicken and cabbage
Just combine braised cabbage with cooked chicken and pancetta for a delicious meal in under 30 minutes!
- Prepare the meat: First, shred the chicken and brown the pancetta in a pan on the stove.
- Braise the cabbage: In the same skillet, toss the shredded cabbage in the pancetta oil before adding the vinegar and seasonings. Mix everything together, then cover and cook until the cabbage starts to reduce in size.
- Finish and serve: Next, stir the chicken and pancetta in with the braised vegetables and cook again until the cabbage is tender. Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Storage – Transfer any leftovers to an airtight container and refrigerate for 3 to 5 days.
- Reheating – Heat in the microwave or in a skillet on the stove until warmed through. For crisper cabbage, heat a little cooking oil in the skillet first before adding the leftovers.
- Cookware – While this recipe works in any kind of skillet, the high heat from a cast iron pan will make the edges of the cabbage and chicken crispy. This is a great option if you prefer more texture to your food.
How to shred cabbage
First, remove any tough or damaged outer leaves. Then, rinse and dry the cabbage or use a salad spinner after it’s been shredded.
Using a knife:
- Use a sharp knife to cut the cabbage in half through the stem, then again to make quarters.
- Hold each quarter against a cutting board and cut at an angle to remove the stem.
- Then, slice across each quarter widthwise to make thin shreds. If you prefer longer pieces, cut across lengthwise.
Using a mandolin slicer
- Cut the cabbage into quarters and remove the stem as instructed above.
- Adjust the blade on the mandolin to the correct thickness, then run the cabbage pieces over the blade to make shreds. Lay it flat side down for long shreds, or start with the base of the wedge for smaller pieces.
Note: Be careful not to cut your fingers as you get to the end of the wedge, and you may need to finish those with a knife.
OTHER RECIPES WITH ROTISSERIE CHICKEN
Shredded chicken makes a great base for a variety of dishes. Here are just a few recipes to use up any leftovers you may have:
- Alabama Style Chicken Sandwich
- Crispy Chicken Quesadilla
- Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Chicken Tetrazzini Casserole
VIDEO: braised cabbage and chicken
Chicken and Cabbage (Braised)
- 1 lb rotisserie chicken shredded (See Note 1)
- 1/2 lb pancetta diced (See Note 2)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups green cabbage shredded
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Shred chicken (dark or white meat) into bite size pieces. Set aside.
- Add the oil to a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the pancetta and brown for several minutes, rendering fat and crisping edges. Remove pancetta and leave oil in pan.
- Transfer shredded cabbage to skillet and toss to coat in oil. Add vinegar, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Stir to mix, cover with lid and braise on low for 5 minutes.
- Remove lid, add chicken and pancetta, tossing to mix. Cover with lid and cook on low for 5 minutes. Serve hot with pan juices.
- Feel free to use either the white breast meat, dark meat or combination of both.
- You can substitute bacon for the pancetta if desired.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice.