This Chicken Tetrazzini Casserole is a creamy, chicken pasta dish that’s perfect for a mid-week comfort food dinner with lots of cheese and chunks of rotisserie chicken baked to a golden brown.
Pasta, chicken, cheese… who can resist? Not me.
What’s Chicken Tetrazzini?
Apparently it’s named after Italian opera star Luisa Tetrazzini in the 1920’s by a chef at the Palace Hotel in San Francisco, but who really knows its origin. All I know is this is pure comfort food.
What’s in Chicken Tetrazzini?
Using rotisserie chicken to make it easier, this pasta dish uses cooked spaghetti and the sauce is made from condensed cream of mushroom and chicken soups.
This casserole gets mixed together with some flavor weapons like sour cream, garlic powder and sherry. It’s baked in a casserole dish topped with lots of mozzarella and parmesan cheese!
Creamy, cheesy coated chicken chunks swirled in pasta.
Say that five times fast. 🙂
When making this Chicken Tetrazzini casserole, the sauce may look like too much, but trust me, the pasta soaks it up while it bakes.
This is one of those chicken pasta dishes that the whole family will love. Pasta. Chicken. Cheese. Come on!
The shredded mozzarella and parmesan cheeses melt to a golden brown on top. Just delish!
Other Casseroles You Might Enjoy
- Tuscan Chicken Pasta
Sun dried tomatoes, spinach and three different cheeses are in this creamy Tuscan Chicken Pasta that gets baked to a bubbly, golden brown.
- Scratch Made Chicken Divan
My Scratch Made Chicken Divan is not your mother’s Chicken Divan. Nope, this is an updated, slimmed down version that still packs in the flavor. No canned soups, sour cream and half the butter of other versions.
- Chili Mac and Cheese Casserole
Mac and Cheese is an American classic comfort food and in this Chili Mac and Cheese Casserole it goes a step further with a Mexican influenced salsa addition to ground beef and a crunchy breadcrumb topping.
- Bacon Mac and Cheese Casserole
For my Bacon Mac and Cheese Casserole, I load it with crispy bacon, cheddar, mozzarella and cream cheeses. The perfect cheesy pasta dish. Topped with crunchy Panko breadcrumbs and baked to a bubbly, golden brown it’s an undeniable indulgence.
- Beef Marsala and Scalloped Potato Casserole
This Beef Marsala and Scalloped Potato Casserole uses browned, ground beef in a savory, delicious marsala wine sauce all layered with cheddar cheese and tender scalloped potatoes.
- Ranch Chicken and Rice Casserole
Chopped chicken gets marinated in Ranch dressing and added to rice, vegetables and chicken broth to bake topped with two cheeses and crispy bacon. This comfort food meal feeds a crowd!
- Savory Turkey Pot Pie
This Savory Turkey Pot Pie is a perfect way to use up any leftover turkey, if there is any of course! This turkey pot pie has a golden brown puff pastry pie shell, get’s filled with chucks of turkey and veggies, all in a creamy, savory sauce using no cream!
This cheesy Chicken Tetrazzini Casserole works well to freeze too for a later time. For any leftovers, I drizzle on some milk to get it a little moist and heat it up. Enjoy!
Chicken Tetrazzini Casserole
- 1 lb chicken breast, cooked and chopped (See Note 1)
- 16 oz spaghetti or linguini
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp sherry (dry)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Cook pasta in heavily salted water for 10 minutes. Drain, do not rinse, and toss with some olive oil. Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together the garlic powder, sherry, sour cream, cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soups and chicken broth until well combined. Gently mix in the chopped chicken and cooked spaghetti, tossing to coat.
- Pour evenly into a greased 13x9" pan coated in cooking spray or olive oil and sprinkle mozzarella and parmesan cheeses evenly on top. Bake for 30 minutes.
- I like to use 2 rotisserie chicken breasts. Remove skin and chop breast meat into bite size pieces.