This easy to make Braised Cabbage and Apple recipe comes together in no time, is the perfect side to any chicken, pork or lamb dish and is packed with brown sugar sautéed apples and green cabbage braised in cider vinegar and spices.
Instead of making a coleslaw or steaming cabbage like I served alongside my Corned Beef the other day, I opted to experiment with items on hand in the kitchen. Sometimes these are the best recipes.
I was planning on making a house favorite for dinner, my Balsamic Roast Pork Tenderloin, and pictured the sliced pork served along side a braised cabbage of sorts. That’s how this Braised Cabbage and Apple side dish came to be.
First I was going to cube up the apple, and by all means go for it if you like, but slices worked for me and I sautéed them in butter with apple cider vinegar and some brown sugar. Opting to go the sweet and sour way for flavors…
I sliced the cabbage then and added it on top and sprinkled in some allspice and celery seeds with the kosher salt and pepper, add some water and covered it to braise and break down a bit.
I didn’t want it mushy, still crunchy a bit, but cooked. This worked and was perfect. I hope you give this Braised Cabbage and Apple recipe a try. Enjoy!
Braised Cabbage and Apple
- 1 small green cabbage 6 cups shredded
- 1 Granny Smith apple cored and thinly sliced
- 1 Honey Crisp apple cored and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp celery seed
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/3 cup water
- In a cast iron pan or large skillet over medium heat melt the butter. Add the sliced apples, tossing to coat and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the brown sugar and apple cider vinegar. Stir to mix in and continue cooking for 2 more minutes.
- Add the sliced cabbage, spices and carefully toss to coat. Add the water, cover with lid and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove lid, season to taste and drain any excess water. Serve or keep warm, covered with aluminum foil in a casserole dish.