This shredded chicken sandwich is topped with tangy white sauce and crunchy pickles. Make this recipe for a quick dinner in just 10 minutes!
How to make a shredded chicken sandwich
This is definitely a hit every time I serve this up for a crowd. I especially enjoy this with the sauced chicken piled high on top of toasted brioche buns if you can find them at your local market in the bakery section. Otherwise toast or grill any soft hamburger bun.
Simply pile tender, shredded chicken and pickles on a toasted and buttered bun.
To make it Alabama style, combine the chicken with my Alabama White Sauce, which is a tangy white BBQ sauce with a mayonnaise base.
INGREDIENTS & SUBSTITUTIONS
For the sandwich
- Shredded cooked chicken – use a rotisserie chicken or make your own
- Dill pickle slices
- Hamburger buns – or Brioche buns
- Butter (optional)
For the sauce
- Mayonnaise – use real mayonnaise
- Cream style horseradish – different than prepared horseradish
- Yellow mustard – for extra heat, try spicy brown mustard
- Apple cider vinegar – white vinegar will also work
- Cayenne powder
- Salt and pepper
Make the sauce
First, whisk together all of the sauce ingredients. Set aside for 30 minutes before using.
You can also make it ahead of time and keep it covered in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use it.
Shred the chicken
Next, use two forks or a stand mixer to shred the chicken.
Using a rotisserie chicken will save you time, but you can also cook your own chicken if you’d prefer.
TIP: If you’ve got extra time on your hands, make my BBQ Spatchcock chicken. The dry rub gives it extra flavor, and it’s basted with the same Alabama white sauce used in the sandwich.
Assemble the shredded chicken sandwiches
Mix the sauce into the shredded chicken until everything is well coated.
Toast the hamburger buns in a skillet or toaster oven. Brush with butter if you’d like.
Then, spoon some of the chicken mixture onto the bun, add pickle slices, and enjoy!
- Faster shredding – Save time and effort by putting your chicken in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Run it for about 30 seconds and you’ll have perfectly shredded chicken!
- Storage and reheating – Keep the chicken mixture covered in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave if you’d like or eat it cold.
- Freezing – Freeze the shredded chicken without the sauce for up to 4 months. Thaw in the refrigerator, then warm and mix with the sauce before making the shredded chicken sandwiches.
Cooking chicken breasts for shredded chicken
You can find steps online for doing this in a slow cooker or Instant Pot, but here’s a simple method you can use:
- Season – Place two chicken breasts in a large pot and add salt and pepper
- Cover with water – Fill the pot about an inch above the meat.
- Poach – Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 8-10 minutes or until cooked through. Add 4 minutes to the cooking time for each additional breast, if needed.
- Shred – Remove the chicken from the pot and shred.
MORE CHICKEN RECIPES FOR SANDWICHES
- Baked Chicken Cubano
- Baked Santa Fe Chicken – this one isn’t a sandwich, but it would be delicious as one!
Watch how to make my Alabama Chicken Sandwich below!
Alabama Style Chicken Sandwich
This shredded chicken sandwich is topped with tangy white sauce and crunchy pickles. Make this recipe for a quick dinner in just 10 minutes!Print Pin Rate
- In a bowl add the shredded chicken and Alabama White Sauce. Toss to coat and set aside.
- Toast the hamburger buns until golden brown. Spread butter on (optional).
- Place 1 cup of the chicken mixture on the bottom of a bun, top with 4 dill pickle slices and place top bun half on top.
- Serve 2 sandwiches per person.
- Regular hamburger buns are fine, BUT I highly recommend brioche buns. They are buttery, dense and hold up well slathered with all of the Alabama White Sauce.
- I like to use a rotisserie chicken OR my BBQ Spatchcocked chicken that has been basted with the Alabama White Sauce while smoking and shred it.
Calories: 1075kcal | Carbohydrates: 51g | Protein: 70g | Fat: 61g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 239mg | Sodium: 1026mg | Potassium: 889mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 280IU | Vitamin C: 5.3mg | Calcium: 222mg | Iron: 4.7mg