Alabama Style Chicken Sandwich
16 CommentsLeave CommentPrint Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This shredded chicken sandwich is topped with tangy white sauce and crunchy pickles. Make this recipe for a quick dinner in just 10 minutes!
How to make a shredded chicken sandwich
- Shredded cooked chicken – use a rotisserie chicken or make your own
- Dill pickle slices
- Hamburger buns – or Brioche buns
- Butter (optional)
- Mayonnaise – use real mayonnaise
- Cream style horseradish – different than prepared horseradish
- Yellow mustard – for extra heat, try spicy brown mustard
- Apple cider vinegar – white vinegar will also work
- Cayenne powder
- Salt and pepper
- Faster shredding – Save time and effort by putting your chicken in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Run it for about 30 seconds and you’ll have perfectly shredded chicken!
- Storage and reheating – Keep the chicken mixture covered in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave if you’d like or eat it cold.
- Freezing – Freeze the shredded chicken without the sauce for up to 4 months. Thaw in the refrigerator, then warm and mix with the sauce before making the shredded chicken sandwiches.
- Season – Place two chicken breasts in a large pot and add salt and pepper
- Cover with water – Fill the pot about an inch above the meat.
- Poach – Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 8-10 minutes or until cooked through. Add 4 minutes to the cooking time for each additional breast, if needed.
- Shred – Remove the chicken from the pot and shred.
- Baked Chicken Cubano
- Baked Santa Fe Chicken – this one isn’t a sandwich, but it would be delicious as one!
Watch how to make my Alabama Chicken Sandwich below!
Subscribe to my Newsletter, follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram and YouTube for all my latest recipes and videos.
Alabama Style Chicken Sandwich
- 8 hamburger buns (See Note 1)
- 8 cups shredded cooked chicken (See Note 2)
- 1 cup Alabama White Sauce
- 32 dill pickle slices
- butter for toasted buns
- In a bowl add the shredded chicken and Alabama White Sauce. Toss to coat and set aside.
- Toast the hamburger buns until golden brown. Spread butter on (optional).
- Place 1 cup of the chicken mixture on the bottom of a bun, top with 4 dill pickle slices and place top bun half on top.
- Serve 2 sandwiches per person.
- Regular hamburger buns are fine, BUT I highly recommend brioche buns. They are buttery, dense and hold up well slathered with all of the Alabama White Sauce.
- I like to use a rotisserie chicken OR my BBQ Spatchcocked chicken that has been basted with the Alabama White Sauce while smoking and shred it.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Do you serve this warm or cold?
Either works, but typically after the chicken gets shredded and tossed with the Alabama White Sauce it is room temp or you could chill the mixture, too.
The best chicken sandwich ever! Love how simple it is to make and how tasty it is toO!
This is absolutely amazing! Packed full of delicious flavors!
So glad you enjoyed this one Toni, it’s one of my all time favorite sandwiches, too. 🙂
Yum!!! This shredded chicken sandwich is such a great dinner idea. Love it.
Thanks Erin! Lunch, dinner or even use the chicken with crackers to snack on. So good!
Best looking sandwich I have ever seen!
Now that’s a big compliment, thanks so much Amanda! I love it because you can make a ton before and feed a crowd with a make it yourself line up of all the goodies. So tasty!
This looks so delicious! My husband is going to love this sandwich!
It’s one of my all time favorites Beth. Thanks so much!
Love, love, love this sandwich. One of my all time favorites!!
Oh Boy…does this ever sound good. I can’t wait to give your chicken sandwiches a try.
Thanks Karen! It’s a great way to use up any leftover chicken and makes one tasty sandwich. 🙂
Well this looks entirely delicious! Just added your white sauce and this amazing sandwich on my to-try list!
Even for a quick way, just pick up a rotisserie chicken and lunch or dinner in minutes! 🙂