This chicken quesadilla recipe is full of fresh ingredients and authentic flavors. Make this recipe in under 30 minutes – perfect for a meal or snack!
Adding shredded chicken to a quesadilla gives it added texture and flavor, plus a boost of protein to keep you feeling full.
Don’t worry, though – this recipe uses a rotisserie chicken so it only takes an extra few minutes to make.
Three easy ways to shred chicken
- By hand – Use your fingers to pull apart the chicken into smaller pieces. It’s easiest when the chicken is still warm, but not so hot that you’ll burn yourself.
- With two forks – This is similar to the method above, but you use two forks instead of your fingers. This is especially helpful for any tough sections.
- Using a stand mixer – This is by far the quickest way to shred chicken. Fit the mixer with the paddle attachment, add the cooked chicken to the bowl, and run it on low until the pieces are the correct size.
How to make chicken quesadillas
INGREDIENTS & SUBSTITUTIONS
For the filling
- Rotisserie chicken – Substitute cooked chicken tenders, thighs, or even canned chicken that’s been drained. Just make sure that whatever you use, it’s shredded first.
- Vegetable oil
- Bell pepper – This recipe uses red, but any color will work
- Salsa verde – I like to make my own, or you can use jarred if you prefer
- Corn – drain from a can or thaw from frozen
- Salt and pepper
Making the quesadilla
- Flour tortillas – use a large size, usually labeled “burrito”
- Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese
- Cooking spray or oil
First, prep your ingredients. Shred the chicken and cheese, chop the bell pepper and avocado, and drain the corn.
Make the filling
Cook the shredded chicken in oil for about a minute, then stir in the bell pepper.
Next, pour the salsa verde over the chicken and let it simmer for about 3 minutes.
Stir in the remaining filling ingredients, then transfer everything to a bowl. Set aside.
Assemble and cook the chicken quesadilla
Place a tortilla in a freshly greased pan, then layer the cheeses and filling on one side. Next, fold the tortilla in half to seal it.
Cook until the cheese starts to melt. Then, flip and cook another minute or two to brown the other side.
Remove from the pan and continue the process to make the rest of the quesadillas. Then, slice and serve!
TOPPING AND DIP IDEAS
This chicken quesadilla recipe is delicious as is, or you can smother or dip your slices in any of the following:
- You can shred the chicken ahead of time and store until ready to use. It will last about 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator and up to 2 months in the freezer.
- Always buy a fresh block of cheese and shred it yourself. Bags of shredded cheese have a preservative that keeps the cheese from clumping together. As a result, it also prevents it from melting properly, and it has a waxy texture.
MORE RECIPES TO TRY
If you prefer beef quesadillas, you’ll love my Crispy Ground Beef Quesdillas. You can also use up any extra shredded chicken in one these recipes:
Watch how to make the chicken quesadilla recipe below!
Crispy Chicken Quesadilla
- 1 lb rotisserie chicken shredded (See Note 1)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 red bell pepper diced (See Note 2)
- 1 cup salsa verde (recipe on site)
- 8 oz corn can drained or thawed
- 1 avocado cubed
- black pepper
- 4 flour tortillas 12" size
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded (See Note 3)
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese shredded (See Note 3)
- cooking spray or oil
- Add the oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Add the shredded chicken and cook for a minute. Add the red bell pepper and stir to combine, cook for another minute.
- Pour in the salsa verde, stirring to combine and simmer for 3 minutes. Add the corn and chopped avocado, gently stirring to combine. Cook another minute. Season to taste with salt and pepper and remove from heat and pour into a bowl.
- This makes four large quesadillas so divide the filling and cheese accordingly.
- Wipe skillet clean with paper towel. Heat skillet over medium low heat and coat pan with cooking spray.
- Add a tortilla and on half of it sprinkle some of the cheeses and the chicken filling. Top with some more cheese and carefully fold tortilla over to cover filling. Cook for 2-3 minutes to brown and crisp tortilla and melt cheeses.
- Flip quesadilla over and cook other side for 1-2 minutes and browned. Filling should be warmed and cheeses melted.
- Remove from pan and slice into thirds on a cutting board. Serve with salsa of choice, guacamole or plain with sour cream.
- Feel free to substitute any kind of chicken you prefer: shredded chicken tenders, thigh meat, canned that has been drained and shredded.
- Use whatever color bell pepper is available.
- Use and substitute any shredded cheese of choice.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice.