Sweet Potato and Corn Salad
This healthy Sweet Potato and Corn Salad has roasted sweet potatoes and corn, bell peppers and pumpkins seeds tossed in a Mexican crema sauce with lime.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time35 mins
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes (See Note 1)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 4 ears of fresh corn outer leaves removed
- 2 bell peppers green and red colored, chopped
- 1 cup red onion diced (about 1/2 large onion)
- 1/2 cup roasted pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves chopped
- 8 oz Mexican Crema (See Note 2)
- 2 limes juiced
Preheat oven to 400°F.
In a bowl toss the cubed sweet potatoes with the oil, cumin, salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes or until slightly caramelized on edges. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
Using a grill pan or BBQ, grill the corn until slightly blistered all over (about 12 minutes total). When cool enough to handle, use a sharp knife and cut kernels off cob. Set aside.
Dice red onion and cover with cold water, set aside for 10 minutes. This will help take the bite out of them.
Chop bell peppers into small dice, set aide. Juice limes.
In a small bowl whisk together the lime juice and Mexican crema.
In a large salad bowl toss together the sweet potatoes, corn, peppers, onion, pumpkin seeds, cilantro and the Mexican crema and lime dressing. Season to taste. Refrigerate for an hour covered. Serve with more crema and pumpkin seeds sprinkled on top with lime zest (optional).
- About 2 large, peeled and cut into 1/2" cubes
- If you can't find the Mexican crema, typically in the dairy section on the market near cottage cheese and sour cream, you can substitute 8 oz sour cream whisked together with 2-3 tablespoons of lime juice to thin it.
Calories: 398kcal | Carbohydrates: 62g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 20mg | Sodium: 632mg | Potassium: 934mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 23235IU | Vitamin C: 68.8mg | Calcium: 131mg | Iron: 2.5mg