Bacon wrapped chicken is the perfect dinner recipe! Crispy bacon, tender chicken breasts and a rich BBQ sauce combine to make this a family favorite dish.
Bacon always adds a lot of flavor to any recipe, and this chicken recipe is no exception.
Healthy baked chicken breasts wrapped in crispy bacon and smothered in a thick, sticky BBQ sauce makes this a dish that is just bursting with flavor!
Ingredients for bacon wrapped chicken
This baked chicken recipe has a very short and simple ingredients list. All you need are the following:
- Chicken breasts bone-in or boneless
- Ground chili powder
- Garlic or onion powder
- BBQ sauce
What BBQ sauce should I use?
You can use any BBQ sauce that you have on hand for this recipe, but the dish is always better when you use your favorite.
If you’d like to try your hand at homemade BBQ sauce, I highly recommend you make my Kansas City Style BBQ Sauce. This BBQ sauce has a brown sugar base, but the sweetness is nicely balanced with the heat from chili powder and ground black pepper.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Remove any chicken skin from each breast and discard.
- Sprinkle the chili and garlic (or onion) powder evenly over the chicken breasts.
- Wrap a slice of bacon over the top of each breast, tucking the ends of the bacon underneath the sides of the chicken.
- Place the bundles in a greased 13×9” baking dish. Brush each chicken breast with BBQ sauce.
- Bake the chicken uncovered for 35-40 minutes depending on the size of the chicken breast. Baste once if desired while it bakes.
- The chicken should be done when a meat thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the breast meat reads 165°F.
How do you wrap chicken with bacon?
For this recipe, you won’t wrap the bacon all the way around the chicken. Instead, wrap the bacon slices over the top of each breast and tuck each end of the bacon under the chicken breast. I found that one slice of bacon cut in two halves is perfect to wrap one large chicken breast.
If you want to wrap bacon completely around the chicken breast, keep in mind that the bacon that is underneath the chicken may not cook completely.
If you choose this option, I also suggest partially cooking the bacon before wrapping it around the chicken. This should ensure that the bacon is crisp and cooked all over.
Ready for more tasty recipes?
And if you’re in the mood for another delicious baked chicken dish, then you should try this easy, one-pan Baked Honey Mustard Chicken.
This recipe first appeared on Kevin Is Cooking in November 2016 and has been updated with a new video.
Watch how to make this below!
Baked Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast
- 4 large chicken breasts bone-in
- 1/4 tsp ground chili powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic or onion powder
- 4 slices of bacon
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Remove any chicken skin from each breast and discard. Sprinkle the chili and garlic (or onion) powder evenly over all four chicken breasts. Wrap a slice of bacon over the top of each breast, tucking the ends underneath. (See Note 1)
- Place the chicken in a greased 13x9” baking dish. Brush each chicken breast with BBQ sauce.
- Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes depending on size of chicken. Baste once if desired while it bakes. Chicken should be done when thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the breast meat reads 165°F.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice.