Now I am a big fan of Mexican food in general and with the Autumn season upon us I found that a soup of sorts would be in order the other evening. This Shrimp Posole Verde starts with a traditional, hearty Mexican soup that eats like a stew, and includes hominy, chiles and substitutes shrimp for pork.
The usual red chile and pork posole, or Posole Rojo with Pork, that I love gets a little switch up here with fresh shrimp that’s quickly poached in the posole broth. This is a filling, satisfying soup and has a wonderful kick of heat that can be altered to your tastes.
Last May I had the pleasure of attending the Tabasco Tastemakers event down on Avery Island, home of Tabasco. That was an incredible experience and I was gifted with so many different flavors of Tabasco upon my return home. I thought the Tabasco Green Pepper Sauce would work wonderfully in this posole.
If you’d like to read more about that trip, go to my post where I used their Tabasco Sweet & Spicy Pepper Sauce in my Cold Lentil Salad with Butternut Squash and Asparagus and also how I used their Tabasco Habanero Sauce in my No Churn Mango Ice Cream.
The fresh tomatillo, sautéed onion, shallots and Serrano chile bring lots of flavor and the hominy adds that authenticity to the dish.
I love the different kind of flavor and heat the Serrano chile pepper gives as opposed to a jalapeño, though feel free to alter to your liking.
When the tomatillo and cilantro base purée are added again at the finish with the Tabasco Green Pepper Sauce, the flavors and texture of this posole are incredible.
It’s the herby fresh flavors and shrimp that make this special. The soft and chewy hominy are offset by the crunchy sliced radishes and sliced chiles. A good squeeze of lime on top and you’re good to jump in and eat. I hope you like this one. Enjoy!
This was previously posted here on Kevin Is Cooking last September 2016 and has been updated with new photos and video.
Disclosure: I’m very excited to partner with Tabasco. I received the Tabasco Green Pepper Sauce in this recipe for free. I also received compensation for this post. I am happy for the opportunity to share brands with you that I believe in, and I hope you enjoy my recipe. Thanks for supporting the companies that continue to make Keviniscooking possible.
Shrimp Posole Verde
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 shallots diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Serrano chiles thinly sliced, divided
- 1 lb medium tomatillos husks removed, rinsed
- Kosher salt freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 pound shrimp cleaned deveined and tails removed
- 12.5 oz can white hominy rinsed
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tbsp Tabasco Green Pepper Sauce
- 3 small radishes trimmed, thinly sliced
- 1 lime wedges
- Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Saute onion, shallots, garlic and 1 thinly sliced Serrano chile until soft, 8 minutes.
- Purée tomatillos in a blender until smooth.
- Add half of tomatillo purée to stock pot and cook, stirring often, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add 1 cup cilantro to remaining tomatillo purée in blender and blend until smooth; set aside.
- Add hominy, chicken stock and Tabasco Green Pepper Sauce to pot. Bring to a simmer and gently cook over medium-low for 5 minutes. Add shrimp and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in reserved raw tomatillo-cilantro purée, season with salt and pepper.
- Divide stew among bowls and top with radishes and remaining chile. Serve with lime wedges.