A mole is a Mexican sauce that is comprised of toasted nuts, dried fruit, chiles, chocolate and other savory ingredients, herbs and spices. Typically simmered for hours, my Instant Pot Chicken Mole Tacos are made in under an hour… and they’re amazing!
When I think of a mole I think of a rich, savory Mexican sauce that has complex, layered flavors, and has been painstakingly nurtured, simmered and labored over. Not so for my Chicken Mole Tacos that have the help of the Instant Pot.
While I use bone-in for this recipe, feel free to use boneless chicken thighs, although I feel bone-in lends so much more flavor.
This makes enough mole sauce for the chicken mole tacos plus about two cups extra.
I love to serve it with eggs, in enchiladas or add it to a soup or chili if you like.
The rich flavors developed are really amazing. With mole it’s not one note, it’s the combination of the chiles, chocolate, dried fruit and herbs and spices that make it one flavor.
- 3 dried ancho chiles
- 28 oz can whole roasted tomatoes
- 1 medium onion roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds toasted
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds toasted
- 1/2 cup dark baking chocolate
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp Mexican oregano
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 lbs chicken thighs bone-in, skinned (See Note 1)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 16 6-in. corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup Cotija cheese crumbled
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves chopped
- 2 limes cut into wedges
- In a bowl cover ancho chiles with boiling water and soak for 10 minutes. Drain and discard stems and seeds.
- In a small sauté pan toast the almonds and sesame seeds for 3 minutes. Set aside.
- In a blender or food processor add seeded chiles, tomatoes, onion, almonds, sesame seeds, chocolate, raisins, chicken stock, chipotles and adobo sauce, cumin, cinnamon, Mexican oregano and garlic in a food processor until smooth.
- Season chicken with salt and place in a Instant Pot. Add mole sauce mixture. Season chicken with salt and place inside Instant Pot. Pour in mole sauce mixture. Cover, seal vent and hit Poultry setting, High Pressure, 25 minutes.
- Open vent and allow steam to release. Remove chicken and place on a cutting board to remove bones. Reserve 2 cups of the mole sauce for another use. Shred chicken into large pieces then return to Instant Pot and mole sauce.
Toast and slightly char corn tortillas over medium-high directly on burner.
Top tortillas with chicken mole mixture, cheese, and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.
1. Feel free to substitute bones chicken thighs, but bone-in lends so much more flavor. Lower cooking time to 20 minutes.