I love a big Sunday breakfast and these Grits Ham and Cheese Breakfast Cups are a perfect way to have it all. Eggs and cheese get whipped into cooked grits and poured into a muffin pan lined with slices of sweet ham. So easy!
These Grits Ham and Cheese Breakfast Cups are super easy to make, are filling and are great for those on-the-go mornings when time is tight.
This recipe is a great way to whip up and lighten the otherwise heavy, rib sticking grits. Butter, milk, cheese and eggs get whipped into the cooked grits and an almost soufflé like thing happens.
Just pour the mixture into maple glazed ham slices lining a muffin pan and in the oven they go.
What comes out are these amazingly fluffy breakfast cups!
With a little extra cheddar cheese sprinkled on top, these are mouth watering.
Great, too, for those who eat gluten free because grits are made from corn, not wheat.
I love how the edges of the ham get crispy, almost bacon-like and the pillowy soft insides are creamy good. Cheesy eggs and grits in a wonderful ham nest.
If you like this one, try my Breakfast Sausage Egg Cups with Spinach and Parmesan that was featured in Cooking Light, or these Baked Ham and Eggs Cups, my Italian Sausage, Gouda and Spinach Strata, or these Breakfast Stuffed Peppers and Crustless Spinach Quiche with Ham. Enjoy!
I love a big Sunday breakfast and these Grits Ham and Cheese Breakfast Cups are a perfect way to have it all. Eggs and cheese get whipped into cooked grits and poured into a muffin pan lined with slices of sweet ham. So easy! Adapted from Southern Cast Iron magazine.
- 12 thin deli sliced ham (See Note 1)
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup grits (See Note 2)
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup butter cubed
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup milk
- 6 eggs large and beaten
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Beat eggs in a bowl and set aside.
- Using cooking spray, coat the inside of the muffin pan. Place 1 slice of ham into each of the muffin cups. Press down and form up sides of cup.
- Bring the water and salt to a boil in a medium sized saucepan. Whisk in grits, stirring to avoid lumps. Lower heat to simmer and cook for 15 minutes. Stir occasionally to avoid sticking on the bottom of pan.
- In a large bowl whisk together the grits, 1/2 cup of cheese and butter until incorporated. Add the onion powder, black pepper, milk and beaten eggs and whip to incorporate completely.
Pour batter into each ham lined muffin cup to the top of pan. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of cheese on top of each cup.
- Bake until edges are set and middle slightly jiggles, 20-25 minutes.
- I like to use Smoked Honey Ham, but feel free to use whatever you prefer.
- For this to cut time down I use quick-cooking grits.