Need something for the holiday breakfast crowd, or for brunch? I’ve got you covered there. A healthy alternate to a traditional quiche that has a buttery, flakey crust, this Crustless Spinach Quiche with Ham is packed with lots of spinach, cheeses and tender, smoky ham for that lighter breakfast touch.
This one doesn’t have you in the kitchen making a pastry crust, it uses cheese as the base and it works beautifully. Delicious on it’s own without the ham, too, this quiche is perfect for breakfast or brunch.
This crustless quiche is not only filling but beyond tasty. Frozen chopped spinach gets thawed and added to a sauté pan of shallots and green onions. Diced onions can easily be substituted for the shallots if none are on hand, but I highly recommend them. I also use red pepper flakes for a little kick, but white pepper works well, too.
I usually add smokey chopped ham to round it all out, but that’s optional. All of this tops cheddar cheese that acts like a crust base, and a cottage cheese and egg white mixture gets poured over all. In the oven it goes and it bakes to a golden brown.
Puffy, golden and delicious this crustless spinach quiche is chock full of healthy and scrumptious ingredients. I’ve been experimenting with adding cottage cheese to baked dishes lately for not only the heft it gives, but the added calcium. Like in my Three Cheese Potato Chicken Bake, when baked, it mixes well with other cheeses and in this one it’s no exception.
This really is amazing in texture and taste. We went back for seconds and it refrigerates well covered and isa great the next day, too. That is if there are any slices leftover.
Crustless Spinach Quiche with Ham
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 large shallot diced (See Note 1)
- 4 green onions chopped
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 10 oz frozen chopped spinach thawed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups Sharp Light Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 6 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup fat free cottage cheese
- 1/8 tsp salt
- pinch of red pepper flakes See Note 2
- 8 oz cooked ham
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 9-inch pie dish with cooking spray, set aside.
- Dice ham into 1/2 inch chunks and set aside.
- Place thawed spinach in a sieve to drain and squeeze excess water out. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat add oil. Sauté shallots for 2 minutes. Add green onion and garlic powder and stir. Sauté, stirring occasionally for 4 minutes or until translucent.
- Add spinach and stir until most of the moisture has evaporated, about 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese on bottom of pie dish and top with spinach mixture and ham.
- In a bowl whisk together the egg whites, egg, cottage cheese, salt and pepper. Pour evenly over spinach and ham.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until set. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting into wedges and serve.
2. 1/8th teaspoon of ground white pepper may be substituted for the red pepper flakes if you like.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.