This Tex Mex influenced breakfast of peppers stuffed with a ground beef and salsa verde lays atop a bed of cheese, pan fried until crispy, all topped with an egg for the perfect breakfast treat. Eggs don’t have to be boring, so give these Breakfast Stuffed Peppers a try!
How is everyone doing? I’m sharing these Breakfast Stuffed Peppers today as a weekend breakfast or brunch idea. It’s Friday and even though we’ve had this crazy flu all of last week we still worked out everyday. Not bad right and I for one am glad we pushed ourselves.
What are your weekend plans? I see lots of new food videos in my future, but that’s me. 🙂
I’m telling you guys, the crispy cheese base tucked inside each bell pepper ring is the perfect way to keep things together. Pan fried until all bubbly, just let it go a little more and those crispy edges found on grilled cheese sandwiches and pizza crusts, which are amazing, is what it transforms into.
Best part is it acts like a base and assists in serving these right from the pan. I’ve made this several times over the past 3 weeks and this version is the one I wanted to share with you.
Just think bell pepper ring, a layer of crispy cheese, then a layer of ground beef simmered in a salsa verde, then a beautifully cooked egg on top for the win!
All you need is a fork as the tender bell pepper ring gives way to the salsa verde and beef then the crisp cheese underneath. I love a good runny egg and this works perfectly as you pierce the yolk and it covers it all. So good! If runny yolks aren’t your thing, just cook them a little longer.
These are super easy to put together and almost look fancy enough to serve guests for a weekend brunch.
If you need other breakfast or brunch ideas, try my Savory Egg Clouds, Chipotle Cheddar Biscuits with Chorizo Sausage Gravy, or my super popular Breakfast Sausage Egg Cups with Spinach and Parmesan. Enjoy!
Breakfast Stuffed Peppers
- 1/2 lb ground beef (or ground turkey)
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 2 large bell peppers color of choice
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded (See Note 1)
- 6 eggs (medium or large)
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- Cut the tops and bottoms off each bell pepper and discard. Slice each bell pepper into 3 rings each. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat brown the ground beef and add the salsa verde. Cook for for 3 more minutes and set aside.
- In the same skillet over medium heat add the bell pepper rings and divide the cheese, placing cheese inside of each ring. Allow to cook for several minutes until cheese is bubbly and starts to crisp up.
- Divide the beef mixture evenly on top of the crispy cheese, and using one end of an egg, make an indentation to hold the egg yolk. Carefully crack the egg on top of the meat mixture for each bell pepper ring. Add 2 tablespoons of water to the skillet and cover with a lid. Turn the heat to low and gently cook the egg for 2-3 minutes for a runny yolk or longer for firm if desired.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately topped with chopped cilantro and sliced avocado (optional).