For Super Bowl we had some friends over and we did our fair share of snacking and eating. The main grub for that half time break was some Chipotle Chili con Carne with Hominy that Dave made. I froze the leftovers and the other night we ate it again. I thought I’d share it with you as it’s even better the second time around!
Dave is a BIG chili lover and I like mine with beans added. He’s made a real hot one if you like that that we have dubbed Dave’s 5 Alarm Chili. That one packs some heat!
We also love hominy and he decided to switch it up by adding chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, golden hominy and pinto beans for me. This is a rib sticking, hearty and quite delicious chili that is packed with those big and bold flavors that are synonymous with this site.
The hominy flavor does not get lost with all thats going on here, but adds to it. The adobo sauce and chipotle chiles add a needed bump in flavor and heat here as well. Adobo sauce is basically what you see chipotle chiles packed in, with chipotle chiles being smoked jalapeños. Adobo is a dark red, sharp flavored sauce that is made from ground chiles, herbs and vinegar.
Serve this topped with some sour cream, fresh chopped cilantro and sharp cheddar cheese. Enjoy!
Chipotle Chili con Carne with Hominy
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 jalapeno peppers chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 red onion chopped
- 1 Anaheim chile pepper chopped
- 2 1/2 lbs lean ground beef 80/20
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp chipotle pepper
- 1 tbsp adobo sauce that chipotle comes in
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp dried Mexican oregano
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 light beer Corona
- 15.5 oz can Golden Hominy drained
- 15 oz can pinto beans drained
- 2 - 14 oz cans fire roasted tomatoes
- 12 oz tomato paste
- In a large stock pot over medium heat add the oil and sauté the jalapeños, garlic, onion and chile. Add ground beef and cook until browned and season with salt to taste.
- Next add the remaining ingredients, stir to combine, cover and simmer on low for 2 hours. If there is too much liquid at this time, simmer to reduce with lid off for 15 minutes.
- Serve topped with a dollop of sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese and chopped cilantro.