Real Chili Con Carne
This here is real Chili Con Carne! Made with chopped beef chuck, ground pork and a puree of soaked ancho and guajillo chiles, garlic, cumin, and other spices that simmers and thickens for a perfect Tex Mex chili meal. Recipe video included.
Prep Time24 mins
Cook Time2 hrs 12 mins
Total Time2 hrs 36 mins
- 2 lbs beef chuck (diced 1/4 inch cubes)
- 2 lbs ground pork
- 1 onion (large, chopped)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil or lard
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 4 dried Ancho chiles
- 4 dried Guajillo chiles
- 2 jalapeño or serano chiles
- 8 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp Mexican oregano
- 2 tsp sugar
Place dried chiles in a container, cover with boiling water and weigh down to submerge (I use a plate). Set aside to soften for 20 minutes. Remove and discard seeds (for less heat, optional) and stems.
In a blender purée soaked chiles, 2 cups of the soaking liquid, garlic, cumin, paprika, black pepper, Mexican oregano and sugar (See Note 1).
In a large skillet or Dutch oven heat vegetable oil over medium high heat and brown the diced beef chuck and ground pork. Season with salt. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes.
Poor chili purée over browned meat and cook for 3 minutes, stirring often. Add enough water to cover by an inch and bring to a boil. Close the lid, lower the heat and simmer for 2 hours. Stir occasionally (See Note 2).
Season to taste. Serve with toppings of choice like shredded cheese, sour cream, onions, cilantro and sliced jalapeños.
- If you can't find the dried chiles, substitute 1/3 cup chili powder and obviously skip the soaking and go straight to Step 2 above. Instead of the soaking liquid you can use hot water.
- If it gets too thick add more water OR if there is too much liquid then add 2 tablespoons of lard or vegetable oil and 2 tablespoons of flour to a fry pan and cook for several minutes. Stir this into the chili and cook for 3-5 minutes until chili is thickened.
Calories: 498kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 35g | Fat: 33g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 127mg | Sodium: 607mg | Potassium: 948mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 4820IU | Vitamin C: 10.5mg | Calcium: 66mg | Iron: 5mg