So after a few days of making bread, rolls and other goodies with some fresh sourdough starter, I decided a BLT was in order for lunch. Although I was a little “breaded” out as it were after multiple taste tests, a BLT was on my horizon. Seeing as I live in San Diego, right near the border of Mexico, which also happens to be one of my favorite cuisines, I figured I would put a Mexican spin on the American BLT. That is how these BLT Tostadas with Spiced Guacamole came about.
There is nothing better than fresh guacamole, and while I enjoy mine simply with some lemon juice, salt and pepper, I spiced this up a bit by adding diced, fresh jalapenos and red onions. I kept it chunky and not too blended. It would be the base on which I lay the crispy, thick, black peppered bacon. I thinly sliced, almost shredded some iceberg lettuce on top of that and then the tomatoes. These were some super plump, luscious Roma tomatoes I sliced and seasoned with some fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt. To top it all off I garnished with some leftover chopped jalapenos, red onion and cilantro.
Can I just say these were superb! Crunchy, salty, filled with fresh, chilled vegetables with a nice bite of spice. The chunky guacamole was so good with the addition of the pepper and onion and when mixed with the salty, thick bacon bite after bite made me a happy camper.
These were super easy to put together and easy to handle. I love hand held food and it wasn’t messy or dripping down my hands as some handheld sandwiches can do.
I think what made it was that the guacamole, lettuce and tomatoes were chilled and contrasted with the warm bacon and crunchy, corn tostada shell. Perfecto!
- 12 slices black pepper bacon, cooked crispy
- ½ head of iceberg lettuce, sliced thin
- 3 Roma tomatoes, sliced
- 6 corn tostada shells
- 3 avocados, seeded, mashed chunky
- ½ lemon, juice only
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced
- ½ red onion, diced
- cilantro for garnish
- In a large skillet add the bacon, turn on heat to medium and slowly render, turning to cook evenly and do not burn. Remove when crispy and set aside. Save bacon grease for other use.
- Seeds fresh jalapenos and dice. Dice red onion and juice half the lemon. Slice the Roma tomatoes. Slice the iceberg lettuce very thin and set aside.
- Seed avocados and place in a bowl. Add lemon juice, jalapeno, red onion, salt and pepper to taste. Mash to combine, but keep chunky.
- Divide the guacamole evenly over the tostada shells - 3 per person. Place two slices of bacon on top. Add shredded lettuce, lay two or three slice of Roma tomato on top and season with cracked fresh black pepper and kosher salt. Garnish with any leftover jalapeno and red onion and cilantro.