Wanting something different, I found these BLT Tostadas with Guacamole a perfect fit. A Mexican twist on an American classic sandwich – bacon, lettuce, tomatoes and a spiced up guacamole made with diced jalapeño and red onion all atop a crunchy tostada came to my rescue! I hope you think so too.
Seeing as I live in San Diego, right near the border of Mexico, I figured I would put a Mexican spin on the American BLT.
This week we are hiking around Utah and Arizona with family and I wish we had a few of these to snack on! We are going to Bryce, Zion and Snow Canyon to name a few of the national parks. It’s simply beautiful. My thoughts on vacations has always been to go somewhere far away and explore a new culture and history, but America has so many gorgeous destinations, too and I am loving it.
There is nothing better than fresh guacamole, and while I enjoy mine simply with some lemon juice, salt and pepper, I spiced this up a bit by adding diced, fresh jalapeños and red onions. I kept it chunky and not too blended. It would be the base on which I lay the crispy, thick, black peppered bacon. I thinly sliced, almost shredded some iceberg lettuce on top of that and then the tomatoes. These were some super plump, luscious Roma tomatoes I sliced and seasoned with some fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt. To top it all off I garnished with some leftover chopped jalapeños, red onion and cilantro.
Can I just say these were superb! Crunchy, salty, filled with fresh, chilled vegetables with a nice bite of spice. The chunky guacamole was so good with the addition of the pepper and onion and when mixed with the salty, thick bacon bite after bite made me a happy camper.
These were super easy to put together and easy to handle. I love hand held food and it wasn’t messy or dripping down my hands as some handheld sandwiches can do.
I think what made it was that the guacamole, lettuce and tomatoes were chilled and contrasted with the warm bacon and crunchy, corn tostada shell. Perfecto!
BLT Tostadas with Spicy Guacamole
- 12 slices black pepper bacon , cooked crispy
- 1/2 head of iceberg lettuce , sliced thin
- 3 Roma tomatoes , sliced
- 6 corn tostada shells
- 3 avocados , seeded, mashed chunky
- 1/2 lemon , juice only
- 1 jalapeño pepper , diced
- 1/2 red onion , diced
- cilantro for garnish
- In a large skillet add the bacon, turn on heat to medium and slowly render, turning to cook evenly and do not burn. Remove when crispy and set aside. Save bacon grease for other use.
- Seeds fresh jalapeños and dice. Dice red onion and juice half the lemon. Slice the Roma tomatoes. Slice the iceberg lettuce very thin and set aside.
- Seed avocados and place in a bowl. Add lemon juice, jalapeno, red onion, salt and pepper to taste. Mash to combine, but keep chunky.
- Divide the guacamole evenly over the tostada shells. Place two slices of bacon on top. Add shredded lettuce, lay two or three slice of Roma tomato on top and season with cracked fresh black pepper and kosher salt. Garnish with any leftover jalapeño, red onion and cilantro.