Clean eating made in 35 minutes? I say serve it up! This Chicken with Brussels Sprouts and Mustard Sauce is a perfect mid-week dinner where chicken shares center stage. Protein doesn’t always have to be the main attraction, here vegetables and big time flavor are.
This killer recipe is one I adapted from Cooking Light and is made with some homemade whole grain mustard, which reminds me I need to make a new batch, but that’s another story.
Instead of roasting the vegetables completely on their own I made sure to try and keep this a one pan meal. The potatoes and brussels sprouts get a quick blanching in the microwave to cut down on time, and to say this sauce is delicious would be an understatement.
Here I use frozen chicken tenders from Costco, but feel free to use what ever chicken pieces you prefer. Just remember if using bone in chicken, the cooking time will change. I made this with boneless chicken.
This is a meal that uses fresh seasonal vegetables like butternut squash, red potatoes and brussels sprouts to make this a balanced meal. The pan roasted chicken gets a dose of apple cider, chicken broth and whole grain mustard to bump up the flavor. I could have the sauce poured over a baked potato alone and be happy.
Plus, this comes together in 35 minutes. Sound good to you? It did us, and it satisfies on the flavor level besides being a simple dish to pull together when time is an issue after a hard day. Enjoy!
Chicken with Brussels Sprouts and Mustard Sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 chicken tenders
- pinch salt
- fresh cracked black pepper
- 8 small red potatoes halved
- 16 brussels sprouts halved
- 1 cup butternut squash cubed
- 1/3 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp parsley chopped
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Trim the ends off and slice the brussels sprouts in half. Cut the small red potatoes in half and put both in a microwave safe bowl with about a tablespoon of water, cover and microwave for 5 minutes on high. Set aside.
- In a large cast iron skillet or pan add the oil and then chicken. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and pan fry until golden brown on both sides, 3 minutes. Remove from pan, keep warm and set aside.
- Drain any water from microwaved vegetables and add to skillet with butternut squash, toss to sauté for 3 minutes. Add the apple cider, chicken stick and scrap bottom of pan to pick up any cooked bits. This adds flavor!
- Add the chicken and nestle between vegetables. Roast in oven for 12-14 minutes, until vegetables get a golden brown. Remove from oven and add mustard and butter. Swirl to incorporate in the sauce. Serve hot.