Succulent, tender and loaded with amazing flavor, these Slow Cooker BBQ Beef Stuffed Potatoes are off the hook tasty! Best part is it’s a one pot meal with minimal effort required. Watch the video to see how easy these come together!
Boneless chuck roast gets an amazing spice and herb rub, is rendered beyond tender and is bathed in an amazing BBQ sauce that all gets stuffed in a baked potato. Top with cheddar cheese and green onions and you have a meal.
I first saw this recipe in a Cooking Light magazine as I waited to get my teeth cleaned about a month ago at my dentist’s office.
Not only is this a fantastic new BBQ beef recipe (I usually do pork) the idea of the potatoes getting cooked sitting on top of the chuck roast in a slow cooker intrigued me.
The fall apart tender beef is so darn good. I am in love with this one and while I love a good baked potato that is all fluffy and has a crispy skin, this was completely cooked through and tender.
I made this twice to adjust seasoning to my tastes, and since it’s just the two of us, I used larger potatoes than the 4 ounce size the recipe recommended. On the second try I actually popped the potatoes in a preheated oven to crisp up on the outside a bit. The chuck roast renders itself down and falls apart with very little effort with two forks. Check out the video to see how easy this is to make.
Hope you enjoy this one as much as we did and to think its all made in the slow cooker!
Just pop everything in, go to work and come home to one tasty meat and potato dinner. Top with some sour cream, fresh shredded cheddar cheese and sliced green onions as you are good to go.
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 4 oz tomato paste
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 lb boneless chuck roast
- 2 cups red onion sliced vertically (See Note 1)
- 6 4 oz russet potatoes
- 2 tsp olive oil or bacon fat
- 4 oz sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 6 tbsp sour cream
- 3 green onions sliced thin on the bias
- Trim the ends from the red onion and slice vertically. Place in a slow cooker that has been coated with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl combine the brown sugar, tomato paste, Worcestershire Sauce, chili powder, salt and pepper. Stir to mix and rub evenly on both sides of the boneless chuck roast. Place roast on top of red onions.
- Rub potatoes with oil or bacon fat and season all over with salt and pepper. Wrap each potato in parchment paper (See Note 2) and place on top of roast. Cover with lid and cook on Low for 8 hours.
- Shred the cheddar cheese and slice the green onion. Set aside.
- Remove lid and potatoes. Shred BBQ beef with fork and stir with cooking sauce and onions.
- Unwrap each potato and slice opening on top. Using a fork, fluff potato inside. (See Note 3) Top each potato with 1/2 cup BBQ beef mixture, tablespoon of sour cream, shredded cheese and green onions. Serve immediately.
- 2 medium or 1 large red onion should be fine for 2 cups total.
- Be sure to use parchment paper and not aluminum foil which adds a slightly metallic taste.
- If you want the potatoes skin crispy, pop in a 450°F oven for 10-15 minutes.