This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Perfect for those cooler evening meals, this Rustic Pesto Sausage Tortellini Soup hits the spot with cheese filled tortellini, pan seared Italian sausage, vegetables and a dollop of pesto. Made in under 30 minutes, too as the tortellini only need 4 minutes to cook. This is so good!
Tortellini are ring-shaped pasta and in this recipe I used cheese filled, although they are also made using chicken or beef. I use the fresh, packaged version found in my market’s refrigerated cheese section and are so convenient and make it really easy to create a dinner.
With everyones hectic schedules, regardless of the holidays, this filling and quick to make soup feeds the family, is great the next day and is loaded with vegetables like zucchini, spinach and cauliflower, though you could easily use whatever you prefer.
I wanted the sausage to have a nice caramelized, browned texture and pan seared them first, then deglazed the Dutch oven with some white wine, which is optional and you could use chicken stock instead.
With a nice dollop of fresh pesto stirred in before serving with Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top and some crusty bread or dinner rolls, this is a great meal to savor with your family.
For other soups ideas, try my Mixed Bean Beef and Barley Soup, or Potato Cheeseburger Soup. If you love fresh, homemade breads and rolls like I do check out my Zesty Homemade Focaccia Bread, French Style Round Sourdough Bread, or these No Knead Honey Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls, or these delicious and super easy Brazilian Cheese Bread Rolls. Enjoy!
Rustic Pesto Sausage Tortellini Soup
- 1 lb Hot Italian Sausage
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 can Fire Roasted Chopped Tomatoes (14.5 oz)
- 2 cups cauliflower florets chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and sliced
- 4 pieces of celery chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup pesto
- 2 cups spinach leaves chopped
- 2 zucchini chopped
- 9 oz fresh tortellini (See Note 1)
- In a large Dutch oven over medium heat add the olive oil and sauté the onions for 3 minutes. Add garlic and continue cooking for 2 minutes.
- Add sausage and break up with spoon into medium size chunks. Brown for 4 minutes, stirring often. Deglaze with white wine and stir up browned bits on bottom of pan, cooking for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, cauliflower, carrots, celery and chicken broth. Stir in salt and pepper and cover. Cook for 10 minutes on medium-low.
- Uncover and add pesto, spinach, zucchini and tortellini. Stir to mix and cook uncovered for 4 minutes. (See Note 2)
- Serve topped with shredded parmesan cheese and parsley to garnish.
- I pick this up in the refrigerated cheese and Dairy section of my market.
- This is a broth soup, if you'd like it a little thicker mix together 1-2 tablespoons of cornstarch and make a slurry with cold water. Add to soup, stir and cook for 2-3 more minutes until thickened.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.