I love roasted chicken and how the skin get caramelized, crispy and has that condensed flavor. The easy route for me is always picking one up from Costco. In this recipe for Roasted Chicken with Saffron Rice, Vegetables I use the breast meat and reserve the dark meat for a soup for later. Dave will usually strip the bird for me – got to give credit where credit is due! – and I get to work on the meal.
I use all parts of the roasted chicken and for a quick, simple flavored chicken stock I will throw the carcass in a stock pot covered with water and simmer for 2 hours with your standard aromatic mirepoix, and a bunch of my favorite herb thyme. I strain it and there you go, rich, fresh chicken stock.
For this Chicken with Saffron Rice dinner I tear the breast meat into bite size pieces and set aside. The idea I had was to start with a saffron based rice, riddled with aromatic vegetables, herbs and the chicken. Simple, delicious and full of flavor, nuanced by the exotic saffron. With the addition of toasted pine nuts and slivered almonds to add some crunch, golden raisins for a touch of sweetness and thyme, this Chicken with Saffron Rice comes together beautifully and is simple to execute.
Roasted Chicken with Saffron Rice, Vegetables
- 1 Roasted Chicken breast meat
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup rice
- Pinch Saffron
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 ribs celery chopped
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Strip the roasted chicken and separate white and dark meat. Reserve dark meat for a soup. Tear breast meat into bite size pieces and set aside.
- In a small sauté pan toast the pine nuts and slivered almonds. When nuts become golden brown and fragrant, remove from heat and toss with some kosher salt. Set aside.
- Chop the onion and celery into small pieces, set aside.
- In a large stock pot heat the olive oil and toast the rice until golden brown and add saffron. Add the chopped vegetables, breast meat, nuts, thyme and raisins to the pot and stir in chicken stock.
- Cover and simmer on low for 20 minutes. Season to taste if needed and serve.