This Pesto Shrimp Fettuccini is beyond easy to make, comes together in minutes and feeds a crowd. What’s not to love about succulent shrimp coated in a rich pesto with vegetables on a bed of fettuccini?
In need of a quick and tasty dinner in minutes? I’ve got you covered! Whether you use frozen, thawed shrimp or fresh shrimp, this cooks quickly and delivers in flavor. This is one of those all done in one pot dinners!
What’s in pesto?
Pesto is an Italian classic sauce made using crushed garlic, pine nuts, coarse salt, fresh basil leaves, Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese all blended together with a good olive oil.
I like to make my own fresh pesto but sometimes pick it up at Costco if the basil at my store is looking a little weak.
As the salted water for the pasta boils, I quickly blanch the broccoli florets and red bell pepper strips.
Next I drop in the raw shrimp to cook for 2 minutes and I set them aside. If using thawed, frozen shrimp, cook for a minute to heat through. We are just using one pot to make this… not many dishes to clean up after. 🙂
The fettuccini is cooked in 10 minutes and everything gets tossed with a copious amount of pesto! Shrimp and pesto are a great combination. 🙂
Shred some quality parmesan cheese on top and a pinch of red pepper flakes and serve.
The sweet shrimp are smothered in the basil, pine nut pesto and the fresh broccoli and red bell pepper strips add needed crunch and sneak those veggies in with no problem. The fettuccini isn’t the only kind of pasta you can use here, but it’s my favorite. Enjoy!
Pesto Shrimp Fettuccini
- 1 lb fresh large shrimp cleaned, deveined and tails on
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 red bell pepper cut into strips
- 1 lb uncooked fettuccini pasta
- 1/2 cup pesto
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- Parmesan cheese
- Bring 2 quarts of salted water to the boil in a large stock pot. Quickly blanch the broccoli and red pepper strips for 2 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon and plunge in bowl with ice water to stop the cooking process. Set aside.
- Add the fresh shrimp and quickly cook for 2 minutes in boiling water, or until they turn pink. Don't overcook! Remove from water and set aside. If using thawed, frozen shrimp, cook in boiling water for a minute to heat through, then set aside.
- Boil pasta for 9-10 minutes and reserve 1/4 cup of the pasta water. Drain and set aide.
- In the same stock pot add the olive oil and pesto. Cook on medium heat for a minute. Add the reserved pasta water and stir to thin the sauce. Drain the vegetables. Add the pasta, vegetables and shrimp to pot and toss to combine. Cook covered for a minute on low to heat everything through.
- Serve topped with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and a sprinkle of red pepper flakes (optional). I also like slices of fresh lemon to squeeze on top, but that is up to you.