Sometimes the simplest of recipes makes for the tastiest and allows the fresh ingredients to really shine through. That’s the case with these Pan Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Leeks with Ginger.
Pan or oven roasted, brussels sprouts develop a wonderfully nutty character and the sliced leeks turn into an almost creamy texture. I’m thinking this vegetable side dish could be a new one to add to your dinner rotation. Tossed with fresh ginger and served with a bit of lime zest, this is a quick and delicious side for any table. Holiday side dish ideas!
There’s really not much to these beauties. I quarter the brussels sprouts and pan roast them until browned and nutty in flavor, like in my Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts. Easy Roasted Vegetables with Honey and Balsamic Syrup. Be sure to clean the leeks thoroughly as they are notoriously known for having dirt in the leaves. No need to grind down those teeth. No, no.
Dave and I love brussels sprouts and as I pan roast these both boys (our dogs Oliver and Kodi) look at me from the side of the kitchen in hopes of a treat. I toss them a carrot or two. We don’t usually feed them people food, but they love their carrots and the occasional piece of Costco rotisserie chicken or three. Ssssh, don’t tell.
This can be made in the oven to roast, but I think doing it stove top with the leeks allows them to slowly cook and get that creamy texture I love. The leeks kind of sear and don’t get that way when I’ve tossed these together and popped them in the oven.
Covering slightly as they cook works best and tossing in the ginger and butter at the end allows them to brown and then get kissed with that bright ginger flavor. A little zest of lime on top to finish and you’re ready to serve.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts See Note 1
- pinch Kosher salt
- 2 large leeks See Note 2
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 medium lime See Note 3
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sprouts and season with salt. Toss well to coat with oil.
- Cover the pan with the lid ajar by about 1 inch. Turn heat down to medium low, and cook, stirring occasionally. The sprouts should start to brown, 8 to 12 minutes. As the mixture cooks, you will hear a gentle sizzle.
- In a small microwave safe bowl add butter and ginger. Microwave on high for 30 seconds. Finely grate lime for 1 teaspoon of zest and set aside. Squeeze lime for 1 tablespoon of juice and add to butter ginger mixture.
- Uncover the Brussels sprouts, turn the heat down to low, add the cleaned leeks (with any water still clinging to them) and cook, stirring occasionally. Try pushing the vegetables back into a single layer so that most have direct contact with the pan. Pan roast until the leeks are limp and the sprouts are well browned, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Pour the ginger butter mixture over vegetables and toss well to coat. Season to taste with salt and top with the lime zest.
2. For the leeks use the white and light-green parts only, cut into 1/2-inch-thick rounds.
3. Finely grate to for 1 teaspoon of zest and squeeze for 1 tablespoon of juice.