Whenever theres cold weather or I’m in need of an easy to make comfort food dinner, this Green Chili Chicken and Beans comes to the rescue. Hearty and filling, my Chicken and Beans recipe feeds a crowd and uses Hatch green chiles, rotisserie chicken and white beans with a secret ingredient that makes this special.
Green Chili Chicken and Beans
This recipe for Green Chili Chicken and Beans is a wonderful meal of roasted green chilis, chicken and white beans that gets a punch of flavor from chopped sage. I build more flavor with the addition of cumin, garlic and white wine.
Comfort food works for me, and a simmering pot on the stove of anything that permeates the house with a homey smell of tantalizing deliciousness does the trick. Now canned white beans, green chilies and chicken stock can be substituted here if pressed for time, but homemade is always better.
Keeping this one simple and easy is great for those busy week night meals so I use chopped rotisserie chicken and canned green chiles and white beans. I prefer to use Hatch green chiles, so look for them at your market..
What’s a Hatch Green Chile?
This green chile is grown in the Hatch Valley of New Mexico. It’s flavor is slightly similar to an onion, or even garlic, and has a nuanced sweet, spicy and smoky taste.
Kitchen Tip – Secret Flavor Weapon
The nuanced flavor from the earthy sage comes through and when mixed with the cumin and other flavorings makes for a soothing, Southwest comfort food meal. This really takes the thick broth to another flavor level. Enjoy!
This recipe first appeared on Kevin Is Cooking October 2013 and has been updated with new photos and a video.
Watch how to make this below!
Green Chili Chicken with Beans
- 1 lb roasted chicken meat (See Note 1)
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 7 green onions chopped
- 4 ribs of celery chopped
- 3 carrots diced small
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 30 oz canned white beans (2-15 ounce cans, do not drain)
- 8 oz green chilies (2-4 ounce cans)
- 8 fresh sage leaves chopped (See Note 2)
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Chop or tear the chicken into bite size pieces. Set aside.
- In a large stock pot melt the butter over medium heat. Add the garlic, stirring and sauté for a minute.
- Add the chopped vegetables and continue to cook for 5 minutes, stirring and scraping the bottom of pot.
- Season with kosher salt, black pepper, ground cumin and chopped sage. Stir and sauté several minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir, cook for another minute.
- Add the white wine and green chiles and white beans, stirring to mix.
- Next stir in the roasted chicken and chicken broth. Turn heat to high and bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and continue to cook for 30 minutes.
- I keep it simple and use a rotisserie chicken. Use all breast meat or all dark meat. Chop or tear into bite size pieces.
- 1 use 8 large sage leaves, when chopped equals about 2 tablespoons.