For me a quesadilla needs to have a crispy tortilla outside and is stuffed with melted, cheesy goodness on the inside. My Crispy Ground Beef Quesadillas have that, and are loaded with seasoned ground beef, avocado, beans and corn!
Crispy Ground Beef Quesadillas
A delicious hand held snack ready for Summer dining, outdoor parties or watching your favorite game, this ground beef quesadilla ticks all the boxes.
This is not a Taco Bell beef quesadilla recipe, no, no. This beef quesadilla tops any restaurant bar food and you can alter the fixings to your liking.
What’s in a Ground Beef Quesadilla?
I use a 90/10 ground beef and season it well with my homemade taco seasoning or you can use a chili powder. Black beans are added to bulk it up and other toppings include corn kernels, pickled jalapeños (optional) and cheese. Lots of cheese.
I’m not a fan of avocado sauce for quesadillas, I prefer chunks of it inside or a good guacamole to dip it in.
What is the best Mexican cheese for quesadilla?
Queso quesadilla is a creamy, semi-soft white cheese that melts beautifully. I pick up the Cacique brand, but use whatever you prefer. It is often used to make quesadillas, pizzas a house party favorite, queso fundido.
For these beef quesadillas, I used a sharp cheddar and a Monterey Jack because that’s what was on hand. Quesadillas are versatile, experiment!
Shred your own cheese, too. I know the pre-shredded in stores is super easy and convenient, but they are typically coated with a potato starch to keep it loose so it won’t clump. It inhibits the meltability in my book. No bueno.
What kind of tortilla is used for a quesadilla?
Flour tortillas are best as they crisp up nicely and retain some flexibility, but corn tortillas tend to dry out easily and break.
These ground beef quesadillas are just cinch to make and are quite filling. 🙂
Beyond comforting, you just can’t go wrong with ground beef and melted cheese!
Add in some veggies and condiments and you can make an entire meal out of these. We do, with ice cold beverages of choice, too. Enjoy!
Crispy Ground Beef Quesadilla
- 1 lb ground beef 90/10 grind
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp Mexican oregano (See Note 1)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp Taco Seasoning
- 1 yellow onion medium, diced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp water
- 15 oz can black beans drained
- 8 oz can corn kernels drained
- 1 avocado pitted and chopped
- 8 large flour tortillas
- cooking spray or vegetable oil
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 8 oz Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- Shred the cheeses. Dice the onion and avocado. Rinse and drain the beans and corn. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, break up and brown the ground beef. Season with kosher salt, pepper, oregano, garlic powder and taco seasoning.
- Add the diced onion and sauté for another 4-5 minutes.
- Mix in the tomato paste, water and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the black beans, mix well and set aside.
- Carefully wipe skillet with paper towel. Spray with cooking spray or a little vegetable oil, and over medium heat, add a tortilla.
- On one half of the tortilla sprinkle some of the cheese(s), the beef and beans, corn and avocado and top with more cheese.
- Using a spatula, carefully fold tortilla over filling and fry on each side util the cheese is melted and filling heated through. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Serve with guacamole or your favorite salsas.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice.