Making queso dip from scratch is much easier than you may think, and it tastes better than store-bought dips. This Mexican party dip recipe is one you’ll want to make often!
This delicious and easy party appetizer, beef queso dip, is incredibly delicious. It’s more than a party dip, though. Sometimes I use it on top of French fries, baked potatoes, and vegetables.
It’s so simple to make and you can customize it with your own preferences – your family and friends will be asking for this all the time!
Like the name implies, this recipe is made from scratch, which means this is one queso dip without Velveeta. Once you try it though, you’ll agree – a few extra ingredients gives this dip a nice, strong flavor.
- ground beef
- chili powder
- ground cumin
- garlic powder
- non fat milk
- low fat pepper jack cheese shredded
- low fat sharp cheddar cheese shredded
How do I garnish this beef queso dip?
I like to garnish this recipe with cilantro and crumbled Cotija cheese, feel free to garnish the dip with some colorful and tasty toppings.
- tomato salsa or try my Roasted Tomato Salsa
- mango or pineapple salsa
- thinly sliced jalapeños
Want a spicier queso dip?
For those that like their dip with extra kick, you can adjust the heat level by adding more chili powder.
You can also customize this beef queso dip by adding in some spicier ingredients. Some suggestions include:
- finely chopped fire roasted green or chipotle chili peppers
- diced jalapeños
- Season the ground beef with chili powder, cumin and garlic powder. Then brown the beef in a large skillet.
- Melt butter in a sauté pan and add flour. Stir the mixture with a whisk and continue to cook for a couple of minutes. Whisk in milk and continue to cook on low until thickened.
- Whisk in the pepper jack cheese and cheddar cheese until smooth. Add the salsa and seasoned, browned beef. Simmer on low.
- Serve warm.
How do I serve this dip?
Of course, the best way to enjoy this queso dip with ground beef is with warm tortilla chips but as I mentioned earlier, I also enjoy this dip in a bunch of different ways. Here are just a few ideas:
- pour it over French fries or potato wedges
- baked potato topping
- pour it over steamed vegetables, like broccoli or cauliflower
- use it in tacos and burritos or on top of fajitas
- hot dog topping
- instead of a using it a dip for tortilla chips, pour the queso dip on top of the chips for some awesome nachos
Ready for more dipping?
Dips make great snacks, appetizers and game day food! If you loved my Queso Dip From Scratch, then you should try some of my other popular dip recipes:
This recipe first appeared on Kevin Is Cooking July 2016 and has been updated with a new video.
Watch how to make this below!
Queso Dip from Scratch (Beef)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup non fat milk
- 1 cup low fat pepper jack cheese shredded
- 1 cup low fat sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup salsa
- In a large skillet over medium heat brown the ground beef seasoned with chili powder, cumin and garlic powder. Drain any fat and set aside.
- Make the roux to thicken your sauce by melting butter in sauté pan over medium heat and add the flour. Stir with whisk and continue to cook for 2 minutes. Whisk in milk and continue to cook on low for 3-4 minutes until thickened.
- Whisk in the cheeses until smooth. Add the salsa and seasoned, browned beef. Simmer on low for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm with tortilla chips and garnish with chopped cilantro and crumbled Cotija cheese (optional).
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice.