This Slow Cooker White Bean Soup is perfect on it’s own, but with added beef kielbasa sausage it makes for a heartier meal. Grilled or pan seared for that added caramelization flavor, plus a touch of fresh pesto tops it all before serving. If meat isn’t in your diet, simply omit and this is still one killer meal. Just don’t skip the pesto!
When time is short and you need a dinner without all the fuss that’s when the slow cooker comes into action. At least it does in this house, and this Slow Cooker White Bean Soup with Sausage is often in dinner rotation.
I personally LOVE a good bean soup. This one is no exception and don’t let the fact that there are minimal ingredients. There are flavor weapons hard at work in this one.
Here in San Diego the weather has actually been changing. Yes, you read that one right. It’s cold in the mornings and evenings with it getting dark early. So this is a good one to come home to after a long day. The slow cooker is perfect for meals like this.
Sure Christmas is right around the corner and you probably have your hands full so let me help you out with dinner plans with this Slow Cooker White Bean Soup with Sausage.
I grill the beef kielbasa (or sausage of choice), but feel free to add grilled chicken or no meat at all. I love the grilled flavor in the soup, it adds another dimension in flavor. If grilling isn’t an option, slice and pan sear to get that caramelization going.
Another ingredient that adds a wonderful touch and are highly overlooked are chopped celery leaves. These are so delicate and I often add them to salads, too. Just a little sprinkling of them after you ladle the soup in the bowl should do the trick.
The other flavor bump in this one is to top each bowl of soup with a tablespoon of fresh pesto. This herbaceous cheesy touch picks the white bean soup up to another level. Don’t skip this, it’s the best.
Other soups that might be of interest you are my Slow Cooker Ham Bone Bean Soup, Potato Cheese Soup with Chicken, or my Southwest Slow Cooker Corn Chowder. So, make sure you have some crusty bread, sit down and eat. Enjoy!
- 16 oz bag of white beans
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 large carrots chopped
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 lb beef kielbasa sausage grilled, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh pesto
- Soak the beans overnight in water covering the beans by 1 inch.
- Drain the water from the beans, rinse and add chicken stock to beans in slow cooker.
- Add the chopped onion, carrot, celery and garlic.
- Cook for 6 hours in slow cooker or until beans are soft, but not mushy (See Note 1).
- Grill kielbasa, when cool enough to handle, slice into 1/2 inch pieces and add to slow cooker in last hour of cooking (See Note 2).
- Season to taste. Add tablespoon of fresh pesto on top of each bowl of soup before serving.
2. You can slice the kielbasa and pan fry to sear and caramelize edges if a grill is not an option.