Some evenings are such where I need a hearty and filling dinner and this Easy Chicken Tamale Pie is just that. Perhaps this can be your new go to because it’s so easy, too. In this tamale pie version I swap out ground beef and a red chile sauce for ground chicken and a salsa verde with sweet cornbread topping it all.
It couldn’t be simpler either. After browning some ground chicken, spices and salsa with corn and black beans, the cornbread batter tops it all and in the oven it goes. Dinner in 30 minutes people!
These past few days have been in the temperature range from 94° up towards 104°F and while I realize many are experiencing colder weather elsewhere… send it here to San Diego please. I am so looking froward to spending time in cooler temps this Thanksgiving with family up in the Portland are. Send rain, too!
But about this recipe. Remember not too long ago I mentioned it actually rained for 2 days here, well I decided to make this Easy Chicken Tamale Pie. I mean, I had the oven on after my third batch for my Baked Hasselback Apples and just decided to keep things going.
Sometimes if I don’t have any chicken tenders or breasts in the freezer I’ll use ground chicken. Just to switch it up a little. Like ground beef, it’s uses are endless!
Ground chicken is a great one for easy and quick dinners and with some cumin and a nice green salsa of choice, you have a spiced up mix ready to pour into a baking dish and topped with cornbread batter that bakes to a golden brown. I often times drizzle a little honey on top of the cornbread after it bakes, that’s optional of course.
Fresh or canned corn can be used and I like the black bean for color reasons, we do eat with our eye, right? Feel free to use any type of bean you like though.
The tangy, spicy green salsa and chicken work well with the sweet cornbread. Enjoy!
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 cups green salsa
- 1 cup corn fresh or frozen
- 1 8- oz can black beans
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- Cornbread Topping:
- 1 oz Jiffy Cornbread mix 8.5 .
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat add the oil and lightly brown the ground chicken. Add onion, garlic and sauté for 3 minutes. Sprinkle flour over all and stir to mix, cooking for another 2 minutes. Stir in green salsa, corn, beans, salt, pepper, cumin and black pepper. Simmer 10 minutes or until thickened. Pour into a greased 9x9” baking dish or pie dish.
- Mix the cornbread mix, egg an milk in a small bowl. Pour over chicken mixture and bake for 20-22 minutes until golden brown on top and toothpick comes out clean when inserted into cornbread.