This Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy is a great, from-scratch recipe straight from one of mom’s archive recipe cards. A savory salisbury steak dinner with an onion, mushroom gravy that is perfect served over mashed potatoes for comfort food goodness.
I was cleaning up my office the other day and after making some editorial plans for posts, came across my binder with all of mom’s recipes. After she passed away I had gathered them all together, from hand written recipe cards with her notes, to clippings and magazine and newspaper cut outs into one binder.
One that stood out, and one I had not made in quite some time, was this Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy.
This is one that comes together quickly, is made with ingredients most likely already on hand and is filling. With ground beef and pantry ingredients mixed with diced onion, the meat is formed into “steaks” and seared in a super hot skillet to caramelize the meat juices and get a little charred on the outside.
I decided to add the sautéed onions to the mushroom gravy. This is savory, lightly seasoned dish and the gravy poured over the meat is really quite tasty.
Mashed potatoes were needed to round out the meal. This is a classic American comfort food dish and one that brings back fond memories for me.
Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/4 cup onion diced
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard (separated)
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce (separated)
- 1/3 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp bacon fat or olive oil (separated)
- 1 large onion sliced thin
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- parsley to garnish
- In a bowl combine the ground beef, onion, egg, ketchup, one tablespoon of mustard, one tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce, Panko breadcrumbs and salt and pepper. Knead by hand until combined. Form into 4 oval patties to give them a "steak" appearance.
- Heat a cast iron pan or large skillet until very hot. Add 1 tablespoon of bacon fat or oil and then patties. Sear patties to a crispy brown on each side. Several minutes until no longer pink inside. Remove from pan and set aside on a paper towel lined plate and cover to keep warm.
- Add the other tablespoon of bacon fat or oil to the pan and sauté the onion until golden brown over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, remaining tablespoon of mustard and Worcestershire sauce and cook for several minutes. Mushrooms will release water so cook mixture down for several minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle flour over all and stir, cooking for another minute. Slowly add the beef stock and stir to mix and lower heat to low. Simmer for several minutes, sauce will thicken. Season to taste.
- Add the “steaks” back to the pan and nestle in the sauce. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes to heat through. Serve over mashed potatoes and pour mushroom onion gravy over each salisbury steak. Sprinkle with parsley to garnish.