French’s green bean casserole is a classic side dish for holiday meals and potlucks. Make this easy recipe in just 45 minutes!
How to make French’s green bean casserole
Simply mix the green beans with the shredded cheese and soup mixture, then bake until warm and bubbly. Add the crispy onions just before it’s finished for a golden brown crust.
Or, add a twist to sweet potato casserole by making my Stuffed Sweet Potatoes Meringue.
INGREDIENT NOTES AND SUBSTITUTIONS
Note: This is just a partial list of ingredients. For the full ingredient list, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Green beans – Typically this dish uses canned green beans, but not everyone likes the texture or flavor. If you’ll be using fresh, be sure to blanch them in salted water first. Frozen green beans can also be used if fully thawed. Find instructions and amounts for each type in the recipe card below.
- Cheddar cheese – Always shred your own cheese from a fresh block, as pre-bagged shreds contain a preservative that prevents them from melting properly.
- French’s Crispy Fried Onions – This is what makes the whole dish! Crispy, salty strips of onion add flavor and crunch to the creamy vegetables. If you prefer, you can find recipes online that show how to make them with fresh onions.
- Condensed cream of mushroom soup – I like to use my homemade version because it’s easy to make and I know exactly what’s in it. However, feel free to use canned if you prefer.
Green Bean Casserole recipe video
To see how easy this is to make, watch this quick video!
- Make the soup mixture: Combine the condensed soup with Worcestershire sauce and seasonings in a large bowl.
- Add in the milk and cheese: Next, stir in the milk and shredded cheese just until combined.
- Toss with green beans: Add the green beans to the bowl and gently stir until they are well coated.
- Bake and serve: Pour everything into a greased casserole dish and bake until hot and bubbly. Then, sprinkle the crispy onions evenly over the top and bake again until browned. Rest for a few minutes, then serve and enjoy!
- Double the recipe: If needed, you can easily double the ingredients and use a 9×13 pan. Increase the baking time by about 10 minutes as well.
- Storage – Cover leftovers with foil or transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for 3-5 days.
- Reheating – Heat individual servings in the microwave, or use the oven or toaster oven to get the onion topping crispy again.
Green Bean Casserole Make Ahead Instructions
There are a few different ways to make this easy green bean casserole ahead of time, depending on what your schedule is like and when you’ll need to serve it.
No matter which method you choose, leave off the crispy onions so they don’t get soggy. Then, add them during the last few minutes of reheating so they can get crunchy and golden brown.
- Bake and refrigerate: Allow the dish to cool before covering with foil and placing it in the refrigerator up to 3 days in advance. Heat in the oven until warmed through.
- Without baking first: Prepare the green bean casserole recipe according to the instructions, then cover and place in the refrigerator up to 24 hours in advance. Bake as directed just before serving.
- Freezing: It’s not recommended to freeze the baked casserole because it can become watery and soggy. Instead, add the green bean mixture to the pan, cover with foil, and freeze for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to serve, bake from frozen for about double the listed time or until bubbly and warmed through.
Tip: To avoid having your casserole dish stuck in the freezer, use a foil pan instead. Or, line your casserole dish with foil first, so you can lift the whole casserole out of the pan once frozen. Then, place it right back in the pan when you’re ready to bake.
Green Bean Casserole
- 3 1/2 cups green beans (See Note 1)
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese freshly grated
- 6 oz French's Crispy Fried Onions
- 1 1/4 cup condensed cream of mushroom soup (See Note 2)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl whisk together the condensed soup, Worcestershire sauce, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and black pepper until mixed thoroughly. Gently stir in the milk and cheese. Add green beans and gently toss to mix thoroughly.
- Pour into a 9x9” casserole pan sprayed with cooking spray and sprinkle with more black pepper if desired.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes. Pull from oven and top with crispy onions. Bake for another 5 minutes until top is golden brown and crispy. Allow to rest 5 minutes before serving.
- If using fresh green beans: Blanch trimmed green beans in boiling, salted water for 8 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon and shock in a bowl of ice water to cool and keep bright color. Drain and set aside. If using frozen green beans: allow to thaw before using. If using canned green beans: use 2- 14.5 oz cans, drain before using.
- I have a homemade recipe to make your own cream of mushroom soup if you prefer over canned.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice.