The lighter cousin of a brownie without the cocoa in the batter, blondies are buttery, soft and addicting! Now layer on top some homemade Rocky Road candy, that delicious chocolate, walnut and marshmallow confection. Beware, these can be dangerous!
What’s are Blondies?
Blondies are basically a brownie without the cocoa in the batter. Baked to a golden brown this batch is loaded with walnuts and topped not with a frosting, but with Rocky Road candy. Beware, these can be dangerous!
They are quick to make, start with a simple base and soothe that sweet tooth fix. My basic blondie recipe gets an update using walnuts in the batter and a Rocky Road candy topping! You’re going to love these.
Soft and cake like, maybe a little under baked to provide that wonderful, slightly chewy texture. Buttery goodness, complimenting whatever you like to add in, be it nuts or chocolate chips or caramel.
What’s Rocky Road candy?
Today it’s one of my favorite nuts, walnuts, along with the added chocolate and marshmallow candy know as Rocky Road. Rocky Road candy typically comes in bar form and is a mixture of chocolate, mini marshmallows and walnuts all mixed together. So I figured I’d combine the two instead of topping the blondie with a frosting. It’s also fantastic as an ice cream, too.
Did you know you can keep that fresh taste of California walnuts by keeping them cold? Walnuts go rancid when exposed to warm temperatures for long periods of time. Heat causes the fat in walnuts to change structure, which creates off odors and flavors. Fresh walnuts smell mildly nutty and taste sweet. I usually keep them in an air tight container and freeze them until ready to use.
YES, I might have a blondie addiction. 🙂 Enjoy!
Rocky Road Blondies
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter melted
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup walnuts coarsely chopped
Rocky Road Topping
- 12 oz Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (2 cups)
- 14 oz Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line an 9-inch square baking pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil, leaving an overhang on the sides to lift the finished Blondies out.
- Mix together the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, blend the melted butter, brown sugar, and vanilla together until combined. Add egg and mix well.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients and stir together. Fold in the walnuts. The batter will be super thick.
- Spread evenly into prepared baking pan using a rubber spatula dipped in water if needed.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before spreading the Rocky Road on top.
Rocky Road Topping
- In large, uncovered, microwave-safe bowl melt chocolate and sweetened condensed milk on HIGH (100%) power for 1 minute.
- Stir until smooth. If needed, microwave at additional 10- to 15-second intervals, stirring until completely melted. Stir in vanilla extract. Fold in marshmallows and walnuts.
- Spread evenly over cooled, baked blondies. Refrigerate until ready to eat and slice into squares.