This easy berry cobbler has a buttery crust and is the perfect summer dessert. Make this recipe and serve with a scoop of ice cream!
If you’re looking for a great, old fashioned dessert, then my Gramma’s fruit dessert is one for you. A tasty, buttery batter gets poured over fresh seasonal berries of choice. It’s baked to a golden brown and is served warm and ready for a scoop of ice cream or whipped cream!
Gramma’s Easy Berry Cobbler
Digging into my mom’s recipe box for this one that my gramma used to make instead of her Apple Crisp, this triple berry cobbler always hits the spot and is SUPER easy to make, too.
What’s in a cobbler?
The usual suspects are all here. Sugar, flour, butter and fresh berries like raspberries, blackberries and blueberries, too. I love the fresh varieties and of course strawberries can be used as well, just none at the moment looked as good as these berries I used.
This isn’t a heavy dessert with a thick crust or streusel topping either. The topping is light and flaky, and you’ll love that it comes together in ONE bowl!
Is it a crumb or batter topping?
It’s definitely a batter! The batter that is poured over the berries is a light one. After scattering more berries on top, I sprinkle some finishing sugar on too, for a little sweet crunch appeal.
As is or with a scoop of ice cream or whipped cream on top. That seals the deal for a simple, fresh and light dessert that’s great for the family, an office party, church gathering or group potluck.
Other Easy Fruit Dessert Recipes
For other fresh fruit or ice cream ideas, try these. Enjoy!
- Old Fashioned Cherry Crisp
Bing cherries covered in a simple flour, sugar, oat and egg crumble that gets melted butter poured on top and baked to a golden brown.
- Sweet Apple Empanadas
Delicious Mexican dessert! Little hand pies filled with cinnamon apples are covered in homemade empanada dough and baked to golden flaky goodness.
- No Bake Strawberry Cheesecake Cups
No Bake Strawberry Cheesecake Cups are made with crushed graham crackers, cream cheese and Greek yogurt and fresh fruit. They’re perfect for kid’s parties, the next office potluck or when that sweet tooth impulse strikes.
This post, first published on Kevin is Cooking April 2, 2018, was last updated with new content on July 19, 2019.
Gramma’s Easy Berry Cobbler + Video
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups berries (See Note 1)
- 1 lemon zest only
- 1/4 cup finishing sugar (See Note 2)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 11×7″ pan with cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl add the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and milk. Whisk to combine. Add the melted butter and vanilla and whisk until combined and a smooth batter.
- Scatter 2 cups of berries on bottom of pan and pour batter evenly over top. Sprinkle remaining cup of berries on top, zest from half the lemon and finishing sugar.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until golden brown. Serve warm with a scoop of ice cream or whipped cream.
- I use fresh berries, if using frozen, then thaw and drain excess liquid (drink it)!
- Finishing sugar is crystalized sugar that is used in baked goods as a topping. It’s crunchy, but feel free to substitute sugar if you can’t find it.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.