Stroganoff chicken combines chicken, mushrooms, and egg noodles in a creamy, tangy sauce. Make this one pot recipe for dinner in just 45 minutes!
This one pot meal is a great option for when you want comfort food with a minimal amount of effort.
Everything comes together to make perfectly creamy chicken and noodles that are filling without being too heavy. Even better, it makes a large amount, so there’s plenty for leftovers or to share with friends and family.
INGREDIENT NOTES AND SUBSTITUTIONS
Note: This is just a partial list of ingredients. For the full ingredient list, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Chicken – Use boneless, skinless chicken breasts or tenders and cut them into bite-sized pieces. If you prefer dark meat, then boneless, skinless thighs would work as well.
- Mushrooms – I like to use cremini, but baby bella or button varieties can be used instead.
- Dry white wine – Cooking sherry would also complement the flavors in this chicken stroganoff recipe. For a non-alcoholic option, replace with more chicken stock or diluted white wine vinegar.
- Chicken stock – Substitute with chicken broth or bullion mixed with water. Vegetable broth can be used if needed, but the overall flavor won’t be quite the same.
- Egg noodles – Replace with a different pasta like fettuccine or linguine if you’d prefer. Both alternatives may take an extra minute or two to cook, so be sure to test one of the noodles to check for doneness.
How to make stroganoff chicken
This creamy chicken and noodles dish is a lot easier than it looks. First, the chicken and mushrooms are browned, then everything is simmered together in the same pot until done.
Brown the chicken
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven until shimmering.
- Add the chicken and season with salt and pepper. Be sure to work in batches, as crowding the pan will cause the meat to steam instead of brown.
- Once the chicken is browned on all sides, sprinkle flour over the top and stir to coat.
- Cook another minute or so, then remove from the pan and set aside.
- Next, melt the butter in the pot and add the mushrooms.
- Cook until the liquid is released and they start to brown, then add the garlic.
- When the garlic is fragrant, pour in the wine.
- Mix well, making sure to scrape any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Then, simmer until the liquid is reduced by half.
Make the stroganoff
- Stir in the chicken stock and spices, then add the cooked chicken and egg noodles.
- Cover with a lid and reduce the heat to simmer.
- The dish will be done when the noodles are tender from absorbing most of the liquid.
Garnish and serve
- Finally, turn off the stove and stir in the sour cream to form a cream sauce.
- If you used a bundle of thyme sprigs, remove them and discard.
- Spoon into bowls and top with fresh parsley. Enjoy!
- Storage – Transfer leftovers to an airtight container and keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Reheating – Heat in the microwave or on the stove until warmed through. You may need to add a little more chicken stock to make the sauce the right consistency.
- Cookware – If you don’t have a Dutch oven, any large pot with a lid will do.
- Gluten-free – Make this chicken stroganoff recipe without pasta by reducing the chicken stock to 2 cups and omitting the egg noodles. Then, spoon over rice or mashed potatoes before serving. Be sure to replace the flour with cornstarch or a gluten-free variety as well.
OTHER PASTA RECIPES TO TRY
If you enjoy this easy chicken stroganoff, try my Beef Stroganoff recipe. It’s just as easy to make and has classic comforting flavors.
Otherwise, here are some other chicken and pasta combinations:
- Chicken Tetrazinni Casserole
- Tuscan Chicken Pasta Bake
- Creamy Pesto Chicken Pasta
- Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
This recipe was first published on Kevin Is Cooking in September 2017.
Skillet Stroganoff Chicken
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast or tenders cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped or 4 sprigs, tied bundle
- 6 oz wide egg noodles, uncooked
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Working in 2 batches so as not to steam, add chicken, salt and pepper. Cook 6 minutes or until golden brown, stirring often. Add the flour and stir to coat and cook 1 minute. Remove from pan.
- Add butter to pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook 8 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook 1 minute. Add wine to deglaze pan and stir up browned bits on bottom of pan and reduce by half.
- Add chicken stock, paprika and thyme and stir. Add chicken and noodles. Cover with lid and cook 8 minutes or until done. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.