Who says you can’t have breakfast for dinner? I for one rather enjoy a great egg or waffle on the dinner menu and a big bowl of cereal with ice cold milk as a late night snack always hits the spot, too. But I had an idea with this leftover meatloaf… Meatloaf Egg Scramble!
I am a big lover of meatloaf, whether it’s Mexican Meatloaf or my BBQ Smoked Meatloaf, they are great comfort food meals.
Recently I made one and the bacon I had on hand screamed a need for eggs. So with some potatoes, cheddar cheese and a cast iron skillet, dinner was ready in mere minutes. A good egg scramble is one of those clean-out-the-refrigerator meals and this was perfect after a crazy day of work. It’s quick, it’s easy and you use up those leftovers. Winner, winner, right?
Thats how this Meatloaf Egg Scramble came about.
The meatloaf needed a little TLC and I decided to pan sear the cubed meat and get things caramelizing. That nice, crunchy edged little nugget would be great with some cooked potatoes. Some would even call this a hash, but with the addition of the beaten eggs and cheese this became breakfast for dinner!
I cubed up two medium white potatoes and microwaved them in a safe bowl covered with water for 5 minutes to get them going as I cubed the meat. Next, I pan seared the meatloaf with a little oil and then added the potatoes. Cook until browned for a few minutes.
To get a veggie in the mix I diced a zucchini and added that to the skillet.
A quick whisk to beat the 4 eggs and a half cup of shredded cheddar cheese was all that was needed. I topped this with some chopped parsley and sat down for a filling and tasty meal.
So next time you have leftover meatloaf give this a try! Enjoy!
Meatloaf Egg Scramble
- 2 slices leftover meatloaf cubed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium white potatoes cubed
- 1 zucchini cubed
- 4 eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- chopped parsley for garnish
- Cube the potatoes and put in a microwave safe bowl covered with water. Cook for 5 minutes on high. Drain and set aside. Cut the meatloaf slices and zucchini in small cubes, set aside.
- In a hot skillet add the oil and cubed meatloaf. Pan sear for 3 minutes. Add the parboiled potatoes and brown for several minutes. Add the zucchini and stir for another minute.
- In a bowl whisk the eggs together and pour evenly over meat mixture, stirring with spatula to thoroughly incorporate. Cook until eggs are set or to your liking. Top with cheese to melt and season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice.