Want something warm, comforting, filling and loaded with flavor? Then this slow simmered Kale and White Bean Soup with Sausage is for you and it’s brimming with slices of crispy hot Italian sausages and fresh chopped kale.
Following my Mom’s Navy White Beans recipe I decided to add a few goodies to beef it up so to speak. I love foods that evoke memories and this one always brings my mom into the kitchen with me and the fun times we had sharing our love of cooking.
This makes for a big batch with plenty of leftovers so I usually store half of it and freeze for a later meal.
The night before you need to soak the beans in water to rehydrate them. Easy enough right? So Saturday evening I soaked the beans and started this first thing Sunday morning. If you forget you can always follow my Quick Soak Method, so don’t let forgetting to soak your beans the night before be a reason not to make this.
The rest is not difficult. Putting all of these wonderful ingredients like the classic trio of chopped onion, carrot and celery, some fresh herbs like bay leaves and thyme gets the kitchen and house smelling so good. Working back in my office I could smell the simmering soups aroma wafting down the hall. Love that!
Best part – all of this simmers away while you go take care of what you need to focus on.
This simple yet satisfying white bean soup that gets turned into a meal with the added pan seared sausages and kale. I don’t add any salt to this and let the flavors from the hot Italian sausages work their magic. The kale is hearty enough to stand up to the heat of the soup and doesn’t get all mushy and completely wilted.
This becomes a rich and thick bean soup, not a thin watered down version. The added chicken stock helps enrich the beans cooked in the water and the end result is a hearty meal with lots of texture.
A healthy bit of freshly grated parmesan cheese on top adds that finishing touch. I always like to have some crusty bread with soups to soak up the thickened broth. Sourdough does the trick for me, and if it’s store bought or homemade like my French Style Round Sourdough Bread, serve it alongside.
Kale and White Bean Soup with Sausage
Quick Soak Method.
- 16 oz white navy beans
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 large carrots chopped
- 4 celery stalks chopped
- 3 cloves of crushed garlic
- 4 sprigs of thyme tied
- 3 bay leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb Hot Italian Sausages
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups fresh kale stems removed, chopped
- Fresh parmesan cheese
- Soak the beans overnight in cold water covering the beans by 1 inch.
- Rinse and drain the excess water from soaked beans and add fresh water to cover by 1 inch in a large stock pot. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, add the chicken stock, chopped onion, carrot, celery, garlic and herbs. Bring to a boil, cover and lower heat to simmer for 3 hours or until beans are soft, but not mushy.
- While beans are cooking, prick holes in sausages with fork and pan fry until browned on all sides and cooked through. When cooled, slice into 1/4” slices. Set aside on paper towel to drain excess oil.
- After beans are cooked add the sausage slices and chopped kale leaves. Stir to incorporate, cover and allow to rest for 20 minutes. Season to taste, grate fresh Parmesan cheese on top and serve with crusty bread.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice.