There is a great peach season right now and the ones from Costco and large, sweet and full of flavor. I like it when you can round a knife around the peach, twist it, halve it and easily remove the peach halves without ripping the pit and damaging the flesh. Perfect!
I wanted a quick and fresh appetizer and decided on fresh grilled shrimp topped with a spicy peach salsa. It’s a eye catching first course appetizer or double it up for a meal.
Grilled Shrimp with Peach Salsa
- 1 lb fresh large shrimp
- olive oil
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large peach
- 1/2 red onion
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- 1/2 red and green bell pepper
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 1/4 cup diced jalapeños
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- Rinse, devein and clean the fresh shrimp.
- Using a paper towel, dry lightly and toss the shrimp with olive oil to coat and salt and pepper. Set aside until ready to grill.
- In a mixing bowl add the oil, rice wine vinegar, crushed and chopped garlic, cumin, sugar, salt and pepper. Whisk thoroughly and let sit while chopping the vegetables.
- Make small dice of the jalapeños, red onion, bell peppers and peach. Finely chop the cilantro and add all to the dressing mixture in bowl and mix well.
- Grill the shrimp 2-3 minutes per side, remove from grill and allow to rest and cool a bit.
- Place 8 shrimp in a circular pattern and add a healthy scoop of the peach salsa in the center of the shrimp and serve as an appetizer.