Can I just say this is spectacular. There I said it. Not only is this Cherry Roasted Honey Chicken super easy, comes to your plate in an hour, but the aroma and flavors here are incredible. Fresh cherries, honey, balsamic vinegar and turmeric are just a few of the ingredients that make this marinade double as a glaze.
What’s great about roasting chicken is the skin bathes the chicken as it cooks, rendering and basting with natural fats and adding so much flavor. Marinate that same chicken first, and you have one amazing finished dish.
Sweet and tart cherries are in season and I’m taking full advantage with making desserts like these Chocolate Cherry Shortbread Cookies, slicing them into fruit salads, baking up Cranberry Cherry Pecan Scones and dishes like today’s post.
I’ve got a house guest coming soon and I’ve been working on all sorts of good things lately trying to get a few recipe ideas to come to fruition and taste test this week. I want to be able to have some free time and leave myself open to do whatever we choose as it’s her first visit here to San Diego. Tour guide time!
Cherries cold from the refrigerator, in salads, baked into goodies and added to savory dishes make me happy. The flavor works so well with herbs like thyme and basil, two of my favorites.
This chicken dish starts with a quick marinade that as the chicken roasts becomes a wonderful, aromatic glaze that is absolutely delicious. I wanted a punch of flavor here and felt the orange concentrate and cherries would provide the tart and the honey and balsamic vinegar would provide a sweet note with healthy turmeric in the mix for taste and color.
The chicken gets a quick salt and pepper rub and then the marinade is poured over before roasting. I like to keep things simple when I can and some steamed rice and a salad would do nicely with this Cherry Roasted Honey Chicken.
I kept the marinade chunky and didn’t purée it so it would stick to and crisp up on top of each chicken thigh while roasting. If rendered chicken skin isn’t your thing, remove after you roast this. Keep it on to keep the chicken moist while roasting, this is key!
All those delicious fruity and savory flavors get absorbed into the chicken, trust me.
The honey and cherry marinade thicken as this roasts and gets all sticky on top, so good! Enjoy!
Cherry Roasted Honey Chicken
- 6 in bone chicken thighs
- 2 cups pitted cherries
- 1/2 cup red onion diced
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup orange juice concentrate
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- kosher salt
- fresh cracked black pepper
- Preheat over to 350°F.
- Place the cherries, red onion, orange juice concentrate, homey, vinegar, turmeric, garlic and fresh thyme leaves in a blender or food processor. Pulse several times. Keep this slightly chunky, not completely puréed. Set aside.
- Rinse and pat dry the chicken with paper towels. Generously salt and pepper on all sides. Add to marinade and allow to rest for 15 minutes.
- Pour a third of the marinade on the bottom of a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or in greased baking dish. Smear to cover bottom and add the chicken, skin side up. Pour remaining marinade over chicken and roast 35 to 45 minutes until deep golden brown. If it gets too brown before cooked, cover loosely with foil and return to the oven. Internal temp should be 165°F. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.