Looking in the refrigerator I decided that with the roasted chicken I had and a bunch of green chilies I could do a nice, comfort meal. An easy cheese sauce from scratch with roasted green chilies poured over some pasta shells and shredded roasted chicken breast meat would do the trick.
In this recipe I make the sauce from a roux base, add milk, shredded cheddar cheese, freshly roasted green chilies and pour over pasta shells. The roasted chicken breast meat gets shredded an sautéed with onions and garlic to make a delicious dinner. This is easy stuff to make and with time some of these basics (making a roux, béchamel, roasting peppers) will become second hand in technique and ease.
For more on the different chilies to use read my article on Choosing the Right Chili Peppers.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- roasted chicken breast meat
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 garlic coves crushed and chopped
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp flour
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 roasted green chilies or 1-7oz can of store bought
- small pasta shells for 4 people
- In a large Dutch oven add the olive oil and sauté the onion and garlic. Add the shredded breast meat and cumin. Cook for several minutes. Remove from pan, set aside and keep warm.
- In the same pan add the butter and melt. Add the flour and stir to combine. We are making a roux, it should cook and turn a golden color on medium. Add the chicken stock and stir to make a thick paste. Next turn the heat to low and add the milk. Stir to incorporate completely. By adding the milk to the basic roux and chicken stock we have made a béchamel sauce.
- In another large pot cook the pasta until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Add the cheddar cheese to the béchamel sauce and whisk to melt in. Next add the roasted green chilies.
- Add the cooked pasta and chicken to the Dutch oven that has the green chili cheese sauce. Toss to coat evenly and serve hot!